ividyon will never get this done, will he.

15/12/2014 - "The Banner of Blood" by Eric Evans

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 15/12/2014 - "The Banner of Blood" by Eric Evans

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014, 01:10

Map Title: The Banner of Blood
Author: Eric Evans
Filename: pml3.unr
Music Files: UTemple.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqAk9rtrYQ

Synopsis: The player walks through a Skaarj infested temple.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 15/12/2014 - "The Banner of Blood" by Eric Evans

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014, 21:01

A decent enough dungeon type map but it's pretty linear and doesn't have the feeling of structure that makes me consider maps four and five stronger medieval themed maps overall. Playing normally you're also pretty overequipped and starting with nothing like in the video almost feels more appropriate balance-wise outside the random high-end ammo lying around. One detail I like in all the later maps of the set is the use of mountains outside the windows in the later maps of POM (regardless of it not looking like Mars at all); it's a small thing that somehow sticks out as a notable feature of this pack to me.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014, 22:00

I like how DavidM reused that ending corridor straight from Strange World lol
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014, 01:06

The Banner of Blood is great - it's oldschool, it gets the job done, like the rest of Peril on Mars. Yeah, forget about Mars, the pack never did try to be credible in that regard, aside from a half hearted attempt in the background info provided by the ReadMe.
I like the atmosphere here and like Mman said, the use of "real" (build) mountains outside the windows is nice. On my first playthrough, I felt that some of the ambushes made things quite tense, and it took me about half an hour to get through, because I actually found the progression to be quite hard - when you reach the area where the hallway suddenly collapses due to an explosion, I remember getting stuck for a number of minutes because I couldn't find the trigger that allows the player to move on behind the collapsed hallway - I got frustrated enough that I repeatedly tried to jump over the debris to get to the other side, and after some perserverance I actually got through (without cheating) but my joy was short lived because the door out of that room remained locked! So I reloaded and eventually found the switch in the fireplace - that actually triggers the secret doorway to get through AND it spawns the Behemoth you need to kill in order to open the door to the exit.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.