This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

02/04/2008 - "Outskirts of Skaarj City" by Eater

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 02/04/2008 - "Outskirts of Skaarj City" by Eater

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008, 23:59

Map Title: Outskirts of Skaarj City
Author: Sergey 'Eater' Levin
Filename: nclevel016.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/8306222

Image Image

Synopsis: After leaving the Skaarj City player continues his journey towards the Prophet's Castle.

User avatar Jblade
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 00:21

I really liked this map. I think the gameplay of the mod really came to a whole here, since there's plenty of opponents to fight in all manner of environments. It's not the best looking of maps, but I liked what it had to offer (and vehicle sequences are things I can't turn down :B )

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 01:38

Does anyone know if there's a console command(s) to buff your spell levels? Otherwise I'll have to god-mode the playthrough.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 10:30

Spell skills are stored in the following array in NaliMage class:

Code: Select all

var() travel int SpellSkills[7];

Now, the problem is that while you set normal (non-array) variables via "SET" console command I have no idea how to set array variable. So, unless you find the way to set an array or tell me where custom commands go there's no way to do it I'm afraid.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 12:05

And what about "add spells in Ed to level, start level, collect spells, start video recording"?

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 13:26

I've made list of summonable items here: http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=750#750, so the problem is not with summoning spells but with gaining spell levels. There's a though battle in this level and you can't win it withouth superb spell casting skills, which can be only aquired by practicing. The more you use spells the more efficient they get.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 13:46

Oh noes! Double post! Sorry, found the solution (works only with UnrealTorunament patch 451)

SET and GET commands were altered so that they can now index arrays. Syntax:

GET <Class> <ArrayProperty> <index>
SET <Class> <ArrayProperty> <index> <value>

Soooooo,

SET Nalichronicles.NaliMage SpellSkills <booknumber (from 0 to 6, don't ask me which is which)> <desired skill level>

Maximum skill level (in one book) reachable without cheating is 9.

Enjoy!

I'll post comments about the map later.

EDIT: You can also increase leveling speed by altering LevelNeeds array. This array contains amounts of spell expirience required for certain skill level. Just set all (0 to 8) values to 1 and cast any spell, and you'll instantly achieve grand mastery in selected book.
EG. Set NaliChronicles.Nalimage LevelNeeds 8 1

This can be done by actor class browser in UnrealED or via EditActor class=Nalichronicles.NaliMage ingame.

BTW. Both (GUI) methods allow you to modify your SpellSkill as well.

EDIT2: On the second thought editing class's default properties (via UnrealED) is rather risky, as it affects the whole game, so I rather not recommend it.

EDIT. D'oh, fixed typo.
It sould be:

SET Nalichronicles.NaliMage Spellskills <book> <level>
Last edited by Jethro on 02 Apr 2008, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 14:32

Thanks. Is the format for doing it supposed to be like "SET Nalichronicles.NaliMage 2 6"? Because that didn't work, does it need the < > or something?

Edit: Oh, wait, I'll try adding "booknumber" before.

Edit2: That didn't work either.

Edit3: Opps, missed the patch thing, I'll have to check it out.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 14:45

Mman wrote:"SET Nalichronicles.NaliMage 2 6"

No, you got it wrong.

SET Nalichronicles.NaliMage SpellSkills 2 6

EDIT. No, you didn't got it wrong. It should be like I wrote it here, but now I see I wrote it the wrong way before. Sorry!

User avatar cronodevir
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 21:19

Is Nali Chronicals the map pack with the funky HUD bars on each side and what not? I don't remember getting past the first level...

I was in some village with no exit...
I'm Garble and MrBlowtatoes

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 21:48

cronodevir wrote:Is Nali Chronicals the map pack with the funky HUD bars on each side and what not? I don't remember getting past the first level...

as long as you load it thru the NC menu, it should work fine. You meet with the dude in the house on teh hill. You get bombarded and you need to run away... going thru a few doors will lead you to the next level...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008, 22:42

cronodevir wrote:Is Nali Chronicals the map pack with the funky HUD bars on each side and what not? I don't remember getting past the first level...

There's a perfectly good review of this map (linked in Jethro's MOTW post) that could have answered that question for you!
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008, 23:43

Nice playthrough MMAN!

Although architecture here isn't the best I've seen in the pack still map looks quite good. Also, I liked vehicle sequences. There are some good combat oportunities here.
On the other hand whole sewer part is on a down side - repetitive architecture and unentertaining creature placement.
Entrance to the prophet's castle is a nice touch though. I was really glad to see my quest is nearing completition.

Overally: not the best in the pack, but still a nice map to play. :tup:

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 16:03

Really liked this map. Architecture may not be that good but it makes up for it in gameplay which I found with most of Eater's maps in NC. I noticed MANN managed to get that damn rabbit to talk (I've played through it twice now & still not had a word out of it). One problem I did find was that if you go for a wander in the last area with the ruins it's easy to get stuck and have to resort to cheating to get out of it.

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008, 16:34

Yay Devine Bolt+Shadow Armor brokenness :) .

Probably my second favorite map for gameplay after the previous one; lots of killing to do, and opportunities to experiment with spells, and also some nice gameplay set-ups (like seeing how much chaos you can get out of the Stonetitan fight :P ). Plus it has events like turning off the turrets and riding the vehicles.

Architecturally it's acceptable, but not particularily special; this feels like the kind of level that had a grand concept (fighting through a Skaarj base built around a raging river), but the author didn't quite have the skills to pull it off fully convincingly (actually I think I get that from most of Eater's NC levels, but the fact they have decent concepts in the first place makes them still stick out, since he always manages a decent dose of conceptual grandness to balance out the lower detail).

Next