Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

29/12/2014 - "The Extreme Battle" by Derdak2rot / NR.2000

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 29/12/2014 - "The Extreme Battle" by Derdak2rot / NR.2000

Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014, 13:41

Map Title: The Extreme Battle
Author: Derdak2rot / NR.2000
Filename: zp12-extremebattle.unr
Music Files: action1.umx, WarLord.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHfQgmPCPHw

Synopsis: It's you versus the Skaarj's insane power.

Discuss!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 29/12/2014 - "The Extreme Battle" by Derdak2rot / NR.2000

Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014, 14:17

The map of PURE POWER.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014, 02:21

Totally love DerkDak's skaarj themes. Probably the only person since Hourences who has carried that torch as far. I regret losing touch with him, the guy was doing some really great work on RD before he went quiet.

I had plenty to say about this level in the past in terms of gameplay, from before the patch more than anything. I won't restate them here. The bottom line is that this is the kind of last level Zephon deserved, and taking Zephon as a love letter to Xidia (but destined to surpass it, as it was) I've always appreciated the scope of the map even if I didn't always like playing it. Having said that, the boss here may just be the best Warlord in Unreal. It's just debatable if it is the best Warlord fight.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015, 15:05

Looking back my old comments are based on the old version, which was tedious at best (grinding Mechs) and borderline broken at worst (super-buffed flak trooper in a confined area). Now it's been rebalanced it finally takes it place as a very dramatic finale map that's still challenging by most standards but not ridiculous (though I think weakening the Mechs actually did most of the work, as now they don't leave you completely starved of ammo for everything else) There are some epic visuals here, especially the generator the final part takes place in, and it's great looking in general.

I still have a couple of issues though, I think there's a little too much backtracking here in a way that doesn't really add much to the map-especially as this is supposed to be the action-based finale-and the end misses the opportunity for a moneyshot of that giant generator blowing up (the collapse effects end up feeling pretty subdued). The Warlord fight also feels like it's missing a certain something to make it truly great; the setting and build-up is there, but it feels like it needs something to leverage the arena design.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015, 17:00

I got sick of Zephon's gameplay early in due to the unbelievably huge levels with nothing in them, but my god was this level a pretty sight and worth reaching.