A random sentence for a random mind.

05/01/2015 - "The Volcano" by El chicoverde

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 05/01/2015 - "The Volcano" by El chicoverde

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015, 17:17

Map Title: NP19 Part 1: The Volcano
Author: El chicoverde
Filename: np19part1chico.unr
Music Files: WarGate.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ddyTLeOVw

Synopsis: Out from the ruins of a mountain fortress, you find the main entrance to a Skaarj base, sitting next to an active volcano.

Discuss!

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 05/01/2015 - "The Volcano" by El chicoverde

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015, 19:47

All I remembered of this map is that it left my mouth wide open when I saw the outside area for the first time 'cause its concept was so original and wonderfully executed - at least visually. Definitely one of the peaks of the pack!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015, 20:37

chicoverde: always spectacular views :tup:
This map is also fun (with a surprise cutscene) and a superhealth which is tricky to get, that is if you follow the way it was meant to be taken, not the rocketjump (which until now, I have not mastered)

I wouldn't say this is the best level of ONP, but in a hurt and heal session, it would last long I'm sure.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015, 04:55

I don't think Chico's been beat as far as Temple/Ruin levels go. This one had startling visuals and looks great in screenshots. I just...I always forget what playing it is like. I remember the look and the atmosphere, but I can't remember a single shot fired or what any of the fighting was like.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015, 10:47

Gameplay in Chicoverde's maps have been always the weakest point. Either too unbalanced or boring; he got it fine in the Skaarj map after this one.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015, 00:48

Relatively linear in general ONP fashion, but a nice level with some good visuals and setpieces like the bombing runs, the Snipers can even make one or two parts somewhat challenging on the higher difficulties.

One thing I will say though is that, while it tends to get praised, I actually feel the implementation of the actual volcano could have more done. Technically it's foreshadowed at least as far back as Thra Fortress (if the count the lava in general it's further back), which is nice, but the scale of it never felt especially imposing to me, and I think the transition inside is lacking something to really sell the "wow I'm inside that volcano now" feel.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015, 18:00

Oh yeah, a Chicoverde map! \o/
Awesome level, and personally I remember playing this the first time very well indeed: several Nali followers together with me at the start of the map; cool cutscenes (and a bombing run on the bridge that actually managed to hurt me!); breathtaking view of the volcano and one of the most memorable canyons I've seen with this game; a Skaarj Sniper surprised me from a distance and actually almost killed me (a fellow Nali ally helped me - all my Nali mountain fighter followers got butchered by the time I reached the outpost though :( ); great foreboding atmosphere, especially when you arrive at the outpost area (great use of sounds); amazing build overall; can't believe I never found that secret area with the superhealth pack, that makes it one of the few decent secret areas of the campaign (most are just so easy to get); nice optional goodies area protected by the force fields (I died a couple of times trying to get those!); awesome transition to the next map with a crazy sequence to welcome you inside the outpost (indeed, salsaSkaarj, a very surprising cutscene: I panicked - didn't find a way out - and the result of the cutscene killed me on my first playthrough :P )...
Really, a fantastic map, and unlike quite a lot of ONP levels, The Volcano is actually quite hard the first time round.
I still feel like it's the best "volcano map" in the whole of Unreal/UT. (Zora's The Vulcan comes a close second, IMO, and is the best island map I've played, by the way.)
Not one of my two favourite maps from the pack, though, but really just behind them, on a par with the rest of ONP's "leetest" maps!
@salsaSkaarj: the last time there was a 'hurt and heal' game with ONP, The Volcano lasted for a long time indeed.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 23:36

Unfortunately for some reason, you are only allowed a limited number of Allies to enter this map (I managed to keep the maximum amount through Nali Mountain Fighters :P) which I found annoying, but it is simply undeniable that this is a highlight of Operation: Na Pali. Chicoverde made this place seem very believable and there is a very nice transition from ruins to Skaarj Outpost.

The Three Piece Suite has to be the peak of ONP for sure ;)

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015, 00:32

SteadZ wrote:The Three Piece Suite has to be the peak of ONP for sure ;)

Agreed! :D

I reloaded a save I had kept for this level, and was reminded that on my first playthrough I had arrived in this map with 4 Nali Mountain Fighters - this time round, however, I was able to finish the map with one ally still alive (the Nali had stayed at the entrance to the base where the Mercenary dropship is located because some trigger prevented him from entering)... and so I found myself to be accompanied by a Nali at the start of the next map :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.