This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

02/03/2015 - "Escape from Na Pali" by Nivlek

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 02/03/2015 - "Escape from Na Pali" by Nivlek

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 17:58

Map Title: Escape from Na Pali
Author: Nivlek
Filename: nalic2.unr
Music Files: Mountain.umx, EndEx.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEhHeCR_B_8

Synopsis: The story needs to end. Thanks to a Skaarj teleport pod, you are catapulted in an inaccessible ancient fortress which somehow houses a working Terran shuttle.

Discuss!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: 02/03/2015 - "Escape from Na Pali" by Nivlek

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 19:05

UBerserker wrote:Synopsis: The story needs to end. Thanks to a Skaarj teleport pod, you are catapulted in an inaccessible ancient fortress which somehow houses a working Terran shuttle.]

Do I detect some irony and sarcasm in your phrasing? :wink:

Seriously, it is a bit of a let-down for the final level. Resistance seems to become relatively hard on the highest floor, but the giant Manta doesn't do a good job in the confined space and regularly disappears never to be seen again. The Warlord also suffers from the lack of moving space, and in general : the buildup to a climax just isn't there.
The best part was the atrium just before climbing the tower to the Warlord area.
As far as I remember Lightning Hunter's UE greatly improved the gameplay in this level but the real ending to the series should have been TLF (sorry for this totally offtopic remark)

Oops, almost forgot: there is one true great moment in this map: the Krall slipping - that was hilarious!

edited: the comment about the giant Manta probably refers to a different version mappack and should be ignored.
Last edited by salsaSkaarj on 02 Mar 2015, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 19:05

Trying to one up Unreal's signature map was going to be an uphill battle either way, I imagine. I remember at the time being divided on the location, though I found several aspects on this level memorable. For one, some scripted stuff like the Krall who slips on a blood puddle. I also very much like the central music track, though the "battle" selection for the warlord was a bit odd. Overall, this seems like an attempt to channel Nali Castle but not necessary a good note to end a campaign on. Like a lot of RTNP's latter maps, it feels "plugged in" with aspects rearranged to force fit it into a level sequence.

This map has the negative distinction, however, of being RTNP's final map, and thus I imagine a lot of players harbor a lot of less than thrilling first impressions because the map simply fails to provide a satisfying resolution to the pack.

So, this might be a case of a level being remembered badly for its placement and not so much its content. I think the level would have worked better if there were four or five more levels in RTNP. But as a last level? It leaves a lot to be desired compared to Unreal. Imagine if Unreal ended with Nali Castle?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 19:17

Mister_Prophet wrote:Imagine if Unreal ended with Nali Castle?

That would have been, yeah, pretty damn awful.
Legend had to release RTNP because the deadline was close. They had probably no time left anymore. I honestly wish RTNP would have never existed and Epic released their planned bonus packs for Unreal instead.

@Salsaskaarj: there is no Giant Manta in this map.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 19:27

UBerserker wrote:@Salsaskaarj: there is no Giant Manta in this map.

Are you sure about that? (perhaps I'm confusing versions but I am 100% sure I have fought a Giant Manta - and (I think also normal mantas).
Currently preparing dinner so looking in the editor wil have to wait until after my nutritional needs are met.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 19:30

My first post in this topic: Last edited by salsaSkaarj on 02 Mar 2015, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Yet I edited it immediately after posting the first time but got no notification that a new post had been made (by Mister_Prophet) just before I resubmitted

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 20:23

Can't seem to find any Manta, perhaps is was in the UE version, or in another version of RTNP (before UE).

edit: perhaps it was in Unreal:Prelude viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54.

As far as I remember I even wrote about the Mantas in a topic.
Anyway disregard my comments about the Manta. I'll strike them through.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 20:45

It's okay in itself, but it completely fails when put in the context of it's obvious goals. As a Nali Castle follow-up it's very linear and has little sense of structure or place, and as an ending map it's basically got nothing except a Warlord fight in an arena badly designed for it. It's got nothing in particular wrong with it, but there's nothing stand-out or interesting either.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 00:42

Meh...

It should have been the Marines.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 15:19

It's a great level in itself, IMO. Yes, there were memorable aspects to it, and in terms of gameplay it works although the boss battle really should have been better, especially as it is in fact worse than the previous Warlord encounters. Overall, short and average in terms of difficulty (less than an hour of game time and only threatened with a mandatory reload a couple of times on my first playthrough).

But yeah, in the context of its obvious goals...
The ending was only made OK thanks to the cinematic (which was really cool back then, even though again, it doesn't match Unreal's ending cutscene in terms of quality and emotional impact).

Hellscrag wrote:Meh...

It should have been the Marines.

Indeed :o
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.