A random sentence for a random mind.

09/03/2015 - "Volcano Underground" by Zora

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 09/03/2015 - "Volcano Underground" by Zora

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 00:35

Map Title: Volcano Underground
Author: Design: Z - Ideas: -=Arch=-
Filename: ZM4Underground.unr
Music Files: rpgexpl.umx, strontiu.umx, yes.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqtC9nKrULQ

Synopsis: The player enters a deadly volcano, and must escape before being made into toast.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 09/03/2015 - "Volcano Underground" by Zora

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 17:22

I remember playing this and finding it surprisingly easy compared to most of Zora's stuff. Granted, it's still hard and I had to reload several times throughout (not always out of necessity, sometimes it was just to do better as I expected the worst, notably due to some tough fights) but the puzzles were all doable without forcing me to check for the solution outside the game. This level also managed to give me a couple of frights (the only level in Zora's Episode 4 to have succeeded in doing that)! And it's still a long play - over two hours for me.
At the end of the day, it's one of those Zora maps I consider to be great. There's a lot in there and though the visuals are again below Unreal standards, there are some pretty cool scenes (such as shown in that 3rd screenshot). The ride at the end is really cool, too.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 09/03/2015 - "Volcano Underground" by Zora

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 19:55

Guess my old comments probably still apply here:

A nice level that isn't as frustratingly opaque/buggy as some of Zora's other levels, while still fitting in some gimmicks. In particular, I think those ledges in the third shot along with the shadows look pretty cool and striking (even if they're probably overdone in realistic terms); too bad the framerate seems to be terrible there. The ride at the end is a good homage to Unreal's ending too (I presume that intentional anyway).
Formerly Mman