ividyon will never get this done, will he.

30/03/2015 - "MotherShip Basement" by Eenocks

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 30/03/2015 - "MotherShip Basement" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015, 08:53

Map Title: MotherShip Basement
Author: Eenocks
Filename: ExtremeBeg.unr
Music Files: None

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66w4pbvvnrg

Synopsis: You've entered the MotherShip. Cross through beams and kill Skaarj.

Discuss!

==========

WARNING. WARNING. WARNING.

You've been killed by those damn beams. Your soul will be transferred in a few days.
I'll personally do it.

==========

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 30/03/2015 - "MotherShip Basement" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015, 20:54

This level just has the feeling of "why does this exist?" It's literally a couple of minutes long at most and the one distinguishing feature of the lasers is pretty annoying (although the video seems to show a good strategy for it). As an extremely short level it really needed some moneyshot feature that gave a "holy shit this is so cool they needed a whole level for it" feel like the effects in Illumination, or even the big view of the Mothership exterior in Demon Crater, but it just doesn't.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015, 21:43

Whenever the concept "filler" is uttered, I immediately think of this map. I can't think of any other map in Unreal or RtNP that is so blatantly designed to fill gameplay time as this one.

It doesn't even have a music track playing in the background!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015, 23:26

Them beams fucked me over a whole bunch

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015, 23:46

Gotta always mention this: the beam section is only mandatory on Unreal difficulty (not sure about Hard).
ImageImage

User avatar Rarsonic

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 01:40

UBerserker wrote:Gotta always mention this: the beam section is only mandatory on Unreal difficulty (not sure about Hard).

Mandatory because "every item you can get is sacred" or because you can't end the level without triggering something on the other side?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 07:46

On Unreal difficulty you have to unlock the door to the exit by pressing the panel beyond the beams.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 11:25

I was totally unaware that the beam section is mandatory on Unreal difficulty! I think that's really cool, and is an additional challenge I would have gladly taken if it were present on Medium difficulty!
A transition map but those beams made it memorable enough: like everyone else I guess, the first time I saw them I wasn't sure of their effect and I died on them :P
The "teleportation chamber" (last screenshot) was reused in ONP's Prisoned, by the way.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 15:11

Buff Skeleton wrote:Them beams fucked me over a whole bunch

Yet this beam sequence is easy to discover. Dying here is either being "couldn't care less about any sequence" or just an overzealous step. There is another map with a beam sequence (can't remember in which map or pack) which kills me almost every time.
Nothing more to be said (for me): this is a boring level (* running off to see how it fared in the Hurt/Heal sessions *)

User avatar Rarsonic

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 17:02

salsaSkaarj wrote:There is another map with a beam sequence (can't remember in which map or pack) which kills me almost every time.

You might be thinking of Mothership Core.

salsaSkaarj wrote:Nothing more to be said (for me): this is a boring level (* running off to see how it fared in the Hurt/Heal sessions *)

It was the first map to be offed, if I recall correctly.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 17:10

The laser beams in MotherShip Core are extremely simple to dodge. Typical left-right or up-down patterns.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 18:28

It is my understanding that this level was part of Demon Crater, but was split because of the beams. That's also why I think it is so small, because the beams.

No other short level in Unreal feels this pointless. In every other case, short levels have interesting standout moments, music tracks, and amazing visual displays (good example of the latter is Illumination, which is essentially an explosion). This gives me the impression that it was shaved off a bigger map almost last minute.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 20:08

I guess there isn't much to say about this map.

But ok that isn't a problem.

Though I gotta mention one comment I read somewhere, about one guy really liking this map just for the shining corona actors.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 20:29

The laser beams in MotherShip Core were daunting the first time round but yeah if you took your time to negotiate each bit then you were fine (I never died there, at least).

The laser traps in Thra Fortress are something else: on my first playthroughs I could simply not count on myself to make it through in one piece without saving in the middle of the sequence and inevitably reloading before making it to the other side. Last I played that map I finally was able to cross the laser traps in one go!

The craziest laser sequence I've come across is the one at the end of Skaarj's Portal Shipment Facility in WTF Series 1. I died a lot there! (and maybe this is what salsaSkaarj was referring to)

I still think MotherShip Basement has its place. Well, OK, it could have been part of the previous map and no one would be complaining about how short it is, but the stuff here had to feature somewhere, IMO.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015, 21:55

Rarsonic wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:There is another map with a beam sequence (can't remember in which map or pack) which kills me almost every time.

You might be thinking of Mothership Core.

Nope, I'm sure it wasn't in Unreal itself nor in RTNP.

Sat42 wrote:The laser traps in Thra Fortress are something else: on my first playthroughs I could simply not count on myself to make it through in one piece without saving in the middle of the sequence and inevitably reloading before making it to the other side. Last I played that map I finally was able to cross the laser traps in one go!

The craziest laser sequence I've come across is the one at the end of Skaarj's Portal Shipment Facility in WTF Series 1. I died a lot there! (and maybe this is what salsaSkaarj was referring to)

Definitely not Thra Fortress (I just searched for and found a video and that beam sequence never posed a problem. Same thing about WFT1, I can't remember much about it but that beam sequence is clear enough.
Perhaps it was in a UT-map (or pack).