Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

01/06/2015 - "Forgotten: Level 3 - The Old Mining Colony" by Sinistral

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 01/06/2015 - "Forgotten: Level 3 - The Old Mining Colony" by Sinistral

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015, 02:09

Map Title: Forgotten: Level 3 - The Old Mining Colony
Author: Andrew " Sinistral " Allison
Filename: Sinistral_Level3.unr
Music Files: digsh.umx, Dusk.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jMuwZ0XDM

Synopsis: The player goes through a mining colony during a thunderstorm.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 01/06/2015 - "Forgotten: Level 3 - The Old Mining Colony" by Sinistral

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015, 02:34

I guess my old comments apply here with slight edits:

A really nice second map, and maybe the most "unreal" in design and atmosphere; outside of the advanced effects (like rain) and the use of the item to activate the lift it could almost be a lost level from Unreal 1 itself (in a good way). I really like the area around the second shot in particular; between the multiple (asymmetrical) levels, the view blocking as a result of that, and the contrast between the rain and lava it feels like its got a lot more depth than it actually does, which is another thing that Unreal itself did quite a lot. The Giant Gasbag on the large bridge at the end feels a bit spurious, but I guess there's only so much that can be done with it without changing it a lot.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: 01/06/2015 - "Forgotten: Level 3 - The Old Mining Colony" by Sinistral

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015, 21:58

Fun and well designed level, makes good use of 227 effects. Probably one of my fav maps in this pack.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 19:58

This is a cool map. Really like the enemy appearances and the interactivity (the locker doors was a nice touch, the spaz out attack with the Skaarj in the box is my kind of ambush). The rain effects add to the location, though the lightning sounds loop a little too much for me.

Sinistral does nice work, I really like this mapper :tup:

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015, 17:30

Really enjoyed this pack, even if some of the maps were a bit tough to figure out what to do next. Wish Sinistral would make some more stuff.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015, 12:54

A great level, and the first to show me extensive use of some cool 227 effects.
(Yes, got around to playing this pack during the second half of April, just after the MOTW thread on The Massacre of Outpost One.)

Actually got a fright from a surprise ambush!
And it's a hard level honestly, I died several times towards the end.
Quite short, unlike the next map.

IMHO the pack is really great, as much as Déjà Vu: Gryphon Revisited v2.01 (though the latter is obviously longer).
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.