Scout-kun is a lie... right?

08/06/2015 - "The Nali Sandcanyon - Part II" by DarkWaver

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 08/06/2015 - "The Nali Sandcanyon - Part II" by DarkWaver

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015, 16:23

Map Title: The Nali Sandcanyon - Part II
Author: Alex "DarkWaver" Hoffmann
Filename: NCLevel012b.unr
Music Files: Razorub.umx, Vortex.umx, Wargate.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbFm1PbY2yw

Synopsis: You find a deadend canyon with a crashed spaceship; perhaps it offers a way out?

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: 08/06/2015 - "The Nali Sandcanyon - Part II" by DarkWaver

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015, 01:56

I think I remember this level as the first time I got the shockrifle in NC, followed shortly by my lamentation on most of the new arsenal compared to the balls serious weapons from Unreal and UT.

Enemy AI looks a little unawares and sketchy in the video. The level design, by contrast, is more interesting in the video than I remember, with all the moving spots and interactive bits.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015, 02:23

Mister_Prophet wrote:Enemy AI looks a little unawares and sketchy in the video.

That's Shadow Armour (which you technically don't have when doing this level normally).

There's a nice theme mix here as you go from the desert to the Nali fortress to the spaceship, it's kind of compressed but it's enough to give the feeling of travel (I think it's also the only Human presence in NC, which is a break from most mods). While not the first Titan in NC, the one here is the first one you fight after you start getting the really overpowered stuff, and it's kind of fun to have a punching bag to try out all your super-strong stuff on (also kind of interesting that there's a suggestion that the Mercenaries controlled the Titan). The Mercenary combat in the ship is pretty simple, but it mixes things up and there's more of a focus on the exploration and minor navigation puzzles. I'm not so sure on a Nali learning to fly a spaceship, but I guess you technically don't get too far...
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015, 13:08

I think the level design is great here. Indeed, the mix of themes works and gives the impression that the level is bigger than it really is.
It's quite short, and average in terms of difficulty (again, you don't have Shadow Armour here during a normal playthrough, and I remember the Mercenaries kicking my ass at least once). The whole segment in the crashed ship is quite unique in Nali Chronicles.
I will also give praise to the narration here, which is strong and often underestimated.
Another great map and probably the best of the line of maps which follow the end of the pack's original first half and precede the Skaarj themed maps.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.