A random sentence for a random mind.

17/08/2015 - "Subtle Planning" by JazzyB

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 17/08/2015 - "Subtle Planning" by JazzyB

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015, 14:15

Map Title: Subtle Planning
Author: JazzyB
Filename: ONP-Map07PlanningX.unr
Music Files: null.

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyEIShfvcs

Synopsis: A rough and polluted portion of the industrial sector full of fierce Skaarj and their scums.

Discuss!

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 17/08/2015 - "Subtle Planning" by JazzyB

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015, 14:16

Is this made in Unreal Engine 2? :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015, 16:20

Mappack too strong. Time to message JazzyB.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015, 17:41

Probably the least memorable level in the set; there are setpieces I thought were here but apparently they're in other levels and this is mostly just confined environments with a lot of the linking corridors being repetitive, which is an issue as there's no indications which ones lead somewhere. It's still well realised and there's a somewhat claustrophobic, oppressive atmosphere to it all (the toxic puddles have odd collision and hurt you even if you jump over them though). On top of all the Half-Life stuff this is probably the level where the Doom 3 influence is most clear, with the dark industrial environment and a couple of sequences that feel inspired by it (the toxic purge is vaguely like one puzzle in D3, and the jump over the slime with the broken floor also feels like a similar part in D3). The combat's okay, and the confined environments add some pressure to it, but there's nothing that really stands out, I do kind of like the two-pronged ambush in the area at the top right shot though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015, 17:39

The level design in here is really fantastic. I've been tight-lipped about this one since I first played it during its initial release. A lot of that is due in part to a poor first impression. But it's a point of view I'm trying to shake, at least when discussing Jazzy's levels on the forum. And it's because his maps are just so well constructed.

I believe he stated upon release that he was inspired by the architecture of his former place of work (which was on an oil rig or some other industrial complex). This comes out very clearly in his level design because the attention to detail is not only very well thought out, it feels very practical. If there is a pipe or panel on a wall, a conduit on the ceiling, or a puff of industrial exhaust from beneath a grate...it feels very authentic in Jazzy's levels and not necessarily added for eye candy.

The gameplay in this one is as others have said it is. But like I have said in the past, not every level has to be about shooting. Players want things to do above all else, this is true, but sometimes exploring is a thing to do also. This map does not feel as linear as some Xidia or Zephon levels I could mention, but the truth of the matter is that Unreal players are biased toward Unreal themed levels even if they don't know that they are, and would much prefer to explore a Na Pali level than a high tech industrial one. They want to fight in the industrial complex maybe a bit more than look at it. Perhaps some levels of Xenome allow this more than this one does.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015, 22:47

When I was going around with the editor in this map I heard those constantly playing machine hum sounds and they were... kind of realistic, cool.
ImageImage