Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

31/08/2015 - "Map 28: Entry to Rrajigar" by David Münnich

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 31/08/2015 - "Map 28: Entry to Rrajigar" by David Münnich

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015, 00:41

Map Title: Map 28: Entry to Rrajigar
Author: David Münnich
Filename: NP28DavidM.unr
Music Files: Cannon.umx, Crater.umx, Null.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xn9SpzKdk

Synopsis: You've almost made it to the Vortex Rikers, but first you need to pass this outpost and find a way into the Rrajigar mines

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: 31/08/2015 - "Map 28: Entry to Rrajigar" by David Münnich

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015, 02:03

Obligatory "what my n00b crap looks like 0_o" comment!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015, 17:34

Not an especially memorable map, but it doesn't have anything heavily wrong with it, it just has little sense of place (due to looking like a Human base, along with very little story context) and doesn't take advantage of a few things that could make it more interesting; in particular I think playing up the non-linearity would have helped this map, rather than just having a straight path with the occasional door to an earlier area. Some of the events (like the exploding turret) don't make much sense and basically seem there just to have set-pieces, except they don't stick out because the player isn't involved in them at all and they don't communicate anything either. It could have probably done more with the translocator too.

Also when you first fall into the base the "guess I'll hold onto this Translocator" line sounds really odd and like it was recorded in a completely different way to all the others. It almost doesn't even sound like the same person.
Formerly Mman

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015, 18:11

Even though I remember it being a bit annoying (confusing?) to crawl through, it's still an OK map, but I have to agree with Semfry that it just that it doesn't look much like a Skaarj base.. unless they took over a Human base and moved in. Something about the 'new brick' wall texture that was used everywhere (and in the Rrajigar sections and the Research Lab) feels a bit 'off'. Kind of like it's doesn't fit in with the others textures (it's too 'bluish' or too bright).

Still a better texture choice than the ones in Fire God Temple (which is a truly unfortunate combo, yikes).