This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

07/12/2015 - "The Ceremonial Chambers" by Myscha the Sleddog

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: 07/12/2015 - "The Ceremonial Chambers" by Myscha the Sleddog

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015, 07:53

Semfry wrote:I've realised over time that the first part of this level tainted my view of it as a whole; the copy and paste rooms, lore-contradicting Eightball plus forcing you to find underwater levers to progress (which breaks what's established in the last map) is kind of a drag. .

In this case I like copy-pasting because it gives us symmetry what is beautiful and suitable. A lot of palaces, castles, churches, tembles and cathedrals are symmetric.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 07/12/2015 - "The Ceremonial Chambers" by Myscha the Sleddog

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015, 16:45

Annetteblue wrote:In this case I like copy-pasting because it gives us symmetry what is beautiful and suitable. A lot of palaces, castles, churches, temples and cathedrals are symmetric.

That's true, however you could also make the case for a more credible/detailed portrayal of an "ancient" structure: if the place were beginning to fall into ruins, there would be traces of that (collapsed beams/walls etc.) which would, realistically, not lead to perfect symmetry from one room to the next. In fact, unlike in the previous level (or in Temple of Vandora), The Ceremonial Chambers has no irregular geometry conveying the idea of an ancient structure falling into ruins - the place is very clean, only the textures (and the lighting to an extent, I suppose) convey the idea of something "ancient"... and the odd palm tree, I guess. In this respect, the level has aged a lot, IMO, and you need look no further than some of the best ancient/ruins type of maps made by the community (see Chicoverde's work, for example) to see how much progress has been made in this department.

Anyway, we didn't care about that kind of thing when we first played this! The underwater section was daunting, and that canyon and the harpoon that you have to use for some tightrope walking are legend to me. It was impressive enough for its time, and yes the boat ride at the end is neat :)

Still, I'm gonna have to mention the phenomal redux of this map, Realm of Corruption - Waffnuffly made that canyon come alive like never before!!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Previous