Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

21/12/2015 - "Harobed Village" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 21/12/2015 - "Harobed Village" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015, 16:04

Map Title: Harobed Village
Author: Juan Pancho Eekels
Filename: Harobed.unr
Music Files: Hub2.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVMV26l0mIo

Synopsis: You find a serene (if still unsafe) village, but the shadow of something else looms ahead...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: 21/12/2015 - "Harobed Village" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015, 02:47

I missed the village entirely on my first play and the graveyard with the secret underground on my second.

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015, 17:55

I've got this map for MonsterHunt.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015, 16:24

As a wind down between intense segments it does it's job perfectly, and probably even manages to be one of the more memorable levels as a result of that despite it's overall simplicity, especially as it's the first real bit of civilisation you come across. The church secret is pretty obvious as long as know about Nali at this point, but the graveyard one was something I missed the first time, and it was cool to realise there was a whole secret area under the village I didn't know about initially (and looking down the well provides a potential clue/foreshadowing too).
Formerly Mman

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015, 12:06

If you kill all the beasts and creatures till the entrance into the ship and decide to return to the village you will meet mantas. :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015, 17:59

Annetteblue wrote:If you kill all the beasts and creatures till the entrance into the ship and decide to return to the village you will meet mantas. :)

Not exactly, there's just a trigger placed in the middle of the valley to the Terraniux (nearby those two Clips) which spawns them. If you walk on the side of the Clips you might even skip the Manta spawning trigger. It's sort of the same thing with Noork where the Mantas at the end are spawned by a really small trigger - not sure what Pancho was thinking. A bunch of triggers can be easily missed because of their small collision radius.

The cemetery secret is sort of fascinating because that whole underground river was surely Underflow content - cut event, weird stone bridge, no messages and feels weirdly disconnected from the rest.
ImageImage

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015, 07:44

UBerserker wrote:
Annetteblue wrote:If you kill all the beasts and creatures till the entrance into the ship and decide to return to the village you will meet mantas. :)

Not exactly, there's just a trigger...

I've never known about triggers. This is something new for me. :)

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015, 00:37

Well...

UBerserker wrote:The cemetery secret is sort of fascinating because that whole underground river was surely Underflow content - cut event, weird stone bridge, no messages and feels weirdly disconnected from the rest.

I never found this one :B Played through the level today, just to see it for myself... And yeah, it must be related to the cut Underflow content, which you elaborated on quite nicely in the Unreal 1 TRIVIA THREAD.

Harobed Village is a memorable level for the reason that Semfry mentioned, but not only: there's also the sight of the Terraniux which is really awesome the first time round! :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.