Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

04/01/2016 - "Terraniux" by Eenocks

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 04/01/2016 - "Terraniux" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 12:02

Map Title: Terraniux
Author: Eenocks
Filename: Terraniux.unr
Music Files: K_Vision.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wlQ2fH9k6M

Synopsis: YOU ARE NOW INSIDE THE TERRANIUX.

Discuss!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 04/01/2016 - "Terraniux" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 12:15

This was originally the map with that Skaarj caged in that cylinder blue forcefield in one of the Unreal trailers.
Though it was just an empty disconnected room just like the ones used for mover brushes lol

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 12:23

I probably should of slept instead of reading unrealsp but whatever I'm here. This map is pretty sweet, in my opinion anyways. Some people hate this level, I can kinda get why, since the Mercs shields can be obnoxcious (especially the later difficulties,) and the level is a bit maze like. When I first played this level I got stuck for hours! (Granted I was like 7.) Unreal's more sci-fi enviroments like spaceships are pretty awesome though, just as good as the other themes. And my god that music, its soooooooooooooooo good I really like this level, though I admit I perfer some other levels more like spire, vandora, and ISV Kran (another sci-fi level people seem to be love or hate about.) Anything else for me to blab about............. :|...... Oh yeah! I think the Merc/ Terranius theme is a bit underused......... Also I heard the ship is actually called Terranius, its just that Innox liked adding X to the end of his maps.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 14:31

Yeah it was named Terranius beforehand.
ImageImage

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 17:09

Doublez-Down wrote:Yeah it was named Terranius beforehandDefinitely one of the more polarizing map sets in Unreal. Personally I can't wait for them to end when I get to them, but I know others love these maps.

Hehe! I wanted to write almost the same but missed previous topic because of holidays. :) I like spaceships levels least of all others. However, it's pretty interesting because it makes you think about action sequence.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016, 15:05

Interesting my post is quoted but not there anymore. No doubt UBerserker's attempt to ensure there is no bad press being spewed about these maps, as his love for them is well known. :lol:
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016, 16:10

Doublez-Down wrote:Interesting my post is quoted but not there anymore. No doubt UBerserker's attempt to ensure there is no bad press being spewed about these maps, as his love for them is well known. :lol:

Nah, don't worry, UB is more serious than you give him credit lol :P your comment is in the previous MOTW thread (Terraniux Underground) ;)

As for my comment(s), it'll come a bit later (I missed the previous MOTW due to holidays so I'll give my opinion on the whole Terraniux package here).
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016, 16:41

Lol posts can't be even deleted anymore either
It's in the previous thread
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016, 17:26

Even though I know the way easily now I always find the amount of near copy-paste rooms in this map annoying, and it makes me feel the Mercenary theme could be explored in better ways than this, that a lot of custom maps with Merc maps seem to follow the same style doesn't help. The garden rooms are a nice twist on the seemingly lifeless and hostile alien ship theme though (it feels like more could be done with it, but at the time that was probably due to technical limits as much as anything). Also awesome music.
Formerly Mman

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016, 18:17

Not my favourite map by far (neither is T Underground) but this map was unfairly (and unjustly) eliminated prematurely in the Hurt Heal game last year.
Not that is so exceptional but there was certainly great effort was made to try and make this a special map. Reusing the previous map in a different configuration, a puzzling way to get up to the higher level (with a nice ambush) and on the higher level a nice difficult to reach area (overlooking the gardens).

Gameplay is a bit repetitive but the way the mercenaries are used, provide a whole "different" feel from the previous maps.

The whole layout is so complicated (for me) whithout becoming too tedious that I've come to accept its shortcomings (but it still doesn't rank anywhere near the top 10 maps of Unreal (and RTNP)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016, 00:45

Terraniux Underground and Terraniux would have been one single map were it not for technical limitations. The whole thing is truly challenging the first time round and even after that - Mercenaries are not to be underestimated, of course their shields are the main problem (especially when they are still capable of shooting while in God mode), and on top of that you're meant to navigate a rather maze-like environment while an (awesome) action track keeps you on edge all the time... When I replayed the entirety of Unreal (only ever did the whole campaign twice :P ), I remember Terraniux as the map where I got killed for the first time on that rerun - the level sure is quite hard. Terraniux Underground actually has its own set pieces which (as Prophet mentioned) are rather unique, and thus memorable as well. The "greenhouses" on the higher level of the Terraniux were spectacular and very welcome after all those dank tech corridors... Love the effect of the skybox here. And yeah, Eenocks did a good job playing with individual pawn properties!

Mercenaries, sci-fi bullshit and "Nightvision"... what else? 8)

Oh, and hurray for EXU2's redux of this map - Frostclaw Outpost!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.