Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

15/04/2008 - "The Hidden" by Paul Roberts

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 15/04/2008 - "The Hidden" by Paul Roberts

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008, 04:41

Map Title: The Hidden
Author: Paul C Roberts
Filename: Hollow.unr
Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/8556754

ImageImage

Synopsis: You are in some sort of dungeon; better find a way out!
Last edited by Semfry on 16 Apr 2008, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008, 15:01

Screenies aren't calling any hidden memories in my conscience, so.. I have no idea... :)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008, 15:19

I always really liked Hollow, even though it wasn't anything too special when you really looked at it critically. It was still an excellent first release, though, regardless. That big open area with the boards was very distinct to me for some reason.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008, 16:54

What Waffnuffly said...
despite being a bland pack with a complete lack of story and an even worse progression between levels, Hollow still offered some pretty diverse environments.
I clearly remember the abyss in the middle of this level, since you enter it from high above and the exit is in the cellars at the lower boardwalk, you could just jump down and skip the rest of the level :B

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2008, 19:19

IMO this is Hollow's best map. The architecture is reasonably detailed and the lighting uses more than one colour. However, there are lots of really weirdly chosen ambient sounds thrown in seemingly for no reason.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008, 00:19

The best map in the pack, that's for sure. Some nice combat opportunities here too. Also, maze-like design makes it kind of hard to explore. On the other hand complete lack of storyline and somewhat dull lighting and architecture spoils the overall effect. Good one if it's the first release, but it lacks compared to today levels.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar zbreaker

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008, 03:16

Hmmmmm.....sorry to disagree with some....but I seem to remember this map being somewhat tedious to get through....although admittedly pretty good in build.
Old as Dirt

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008, 03:20

Hollow goes downhill later, but I like the first map a lot. I think it pulls off the squalid dungeon atmosphere very well, and it makes some brave use of green that I think works quite well. The main room is also very memorable, although the (non-Nali) crosses were out-of-place. I actually missed the Eightball area on my first trips through the map. The corridor to the key seems kind of simplistic and buggy though (like it was cut from one of the later levels) and I recall that the lift down to the crosses area can get stuck very easily if the Pupae down there jump under it.

The prison areas are a bit repetitive, but I think it helps show how squalid the prison is here. Too bad there's very little story, as it could have enhanced the atmosphere a lot here (although this level is still the closest thing Hollow has to something resembling a story).

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008, 16:55

Now when I saw the playthrough (thanks MMAN!) I find it kind of funny, as I managed to get through this map wihout picking up a single key and without shooting the crosses. That's an interesting bit of non-linearity, isn't it?
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar zbreaker

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008, 02:49

Nice playthrough MMan....tight ammo there for awhile :wink:
Old as Dirt

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008, 21:45

My God, I haven't played Hollow for three years, but I still remember the damn maze which was the first map (and so the other ones. Not in details though).

So damn confusing, and I ended up getting shortcuts of every kind, finishing the map really quickly. Then I end up in a completely different place.

Fights are okayish... the music is way too modern-themed for the place, and the Key room is annoying as hell when you're fighting the Flies, due to the collision problems caused by the key itself. BIG KEY.

Finish the map and.... where am I?
That's why I love Hollow. It's one of those map packs which lets you think about a level in which the exit is found in a toilet, and when you go to it, you end up outside of your house with people looking at you.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008, 20:11

Thanks for the vid, MMAN.. I can't believe you found your way out of there.. it all looks the same.. :/
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.