Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

28/04/2008 - "Cerberus Castle" by Sram

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 28/04/2008 - "Cerberus Castle" by Sram

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 09:55

Map Title: Cerberus Castle
Author: Patrick "Sram" Funk
Filename: nclevel013.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/8798723

ImageImage

Synopsis: The human ship you managed to activate was shot down by a Skaarj cruiser. Now Skaarj have come to finish you. Try to avoid bombers and Kraal and Skaarj assaults as long as possible. Oh, and don't forget to find out where exactly are you.

Discuss!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 14:53

The second pic.. I remember that part.. weird area's with gasbags.. what's the purpose of those spots??

As for the first pic.. I clearly remember that part.. was a lot of fun actually. Got bombed and then the paratrooper-krall.. :lol: :tup:
It's fun to see them getting dropped, and running really fast (feet movement) until they reach the ground..
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 19:26

More NC stuff that I haven't seen.

I wish NC was compatible with Oldskool. When I have NC games in progress I tend to end up losing saves. I'd like to complete the mod; one of these days I'll get round to it (the missing map, which was going to be a key part of the storyline, kinda puts me off a bit, as it fractures the narrative).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 03:10

Another soul who never experienced NC....always had a save bug which never allowed me to save/reload. Also the mod just seemed too involved at least imho...too much stuff to keep track of with the spells and such. Always been more of a visceral player...run & gun so to speak. Still look foward to playing thru this pack eventually.
Old as Dirt

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 14:32

zbreaker wrote:Another soul who never experienced NC....always had a save bug which never allowed me to save/reload. Also the mod just seemed too involved at least imho...too much stuff to keep track of with the spells and such. Always been more of a visceral player...run & gun so to speak. Still look foward to playing thru this pack eventually.

Funny you say that actually. I've had troubles with the spells as well, since I never was fast enough to use them.. so I basically used only a few of them. I also had trouble with upgrading my manna.. probably because I'm a run & gun also.. :lol:
Nevertheless, I can recommend this pack.. it's fun to play.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 14:41

I remember that Krall dropships and bombings, that was pretty cool.
Nali Chronicles is leet mappack, worth playing. :tup:

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008, 18:03

funny thing about MMAN's playthru.. he only killed one bunch of Krall, while I know that there are at least two groups of Krall that are dropped.. on each side of that mountain.
It's kind of cheat tho to be invisible and blast those enemies away.. :P

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008, 10:09

zbreaker wrote:always had a save bug which never allowed me to save/reload.

The fix was in the readme.... The only thing you had to do (it prevents conflicts with OldSkool too) is to edit NaliChronicles.ini and change save path to something like "..\Nalisave", that should fix the problem.

zbreaker wrote:too much stuff to keep track of with the spells and such.

During my playthrough I always concentrated on using 1-2 offensive spells at one time (one weak for pest and one overkill for serious battles). That prevents the confusion.

Darkon wrote:funny thing about MMAN's playthru.. he only killed one bunch of Krall, while I know that there are at least two groups of Krall that are dropped.. on each side of that mountain.

I'm not sure if they're dropped at one time or you have to trigger the sequence on each side of the rock.

On the map: Well, it was fun in terms of gameplay (although redeemer bombs were annoying), but the map itself doesn't make much sense. It's just a set of differently themed areas, and in fact it's some kind of strangely designed hub map. Nothing really spectacular here :/
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008, 15:18

I really liked the floating 'mist' of sand right above the ground. I was thinking about that recently, that I haven't seen that in a map, and then I saw the vid and "oh yeah.. they did that".. altho I didn't think it worked in the little hallway in between the outside area's.. which is a pitty...

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2008, 11:50

Darkon wrote:It's kind of cheat tho to be invisible and blast those enemies away.. :P

Especially as you aren't supposed to have it yet ;) .

This is probably the weakest level in NC for me. The scripted bombing is pretty cool, but beyond that it's very simple, linear and one of the weakest levels visually, although the concept is pretty cool (in comparison to most of Eater's maps, that also have relatively low detail, but have lots of scripted events and exploration to balance things out). Although the S3TC bug I didn't know about that makes the first area look hideous without the level patch probably tainted my view on the visuals a little. I should probably update the review about that.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 May 2008, 23:54

Managed to play beyond this level from yesterday. As I said, definitely the weakest level so far with really basic architecture. But it's a good training ground for Dark Magic, as there are plently of mana sources here.

Oh, and yes, you gain Invisibility spell in the next level, so MMAN cheated during his playthrough :P
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.