UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

06/05/2008 - "Dead Mines" by Mr.Prophet et al

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 May 2008, 21:55

The odd little portal connecting the temple to the icy part, I think, was supposed to be a transport over a long stretch of terrain to explain the climate change.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 May 2008, 19:49

This is probably my favorite map in The Escape. As I've mentioned before, I think the crate room fight is the best battle in Xidia (and perhaps one of the best Unreal fights ever). The level also has a bunch of other ideas in it, but the only one I found particularily disjointed is the "warp" at the end, as the base being built right next to a way into the temple didn't make sense.

I liked the controller battle as a change of pace, although it would have worked better if there were some more parts of the temple/references around. Finishing it off with the chainsaw is fun :) .

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 May 2008, 23:21

I am glad to hear that some of you really liked the crate room fight.

The reason why the level seems disjointed at times is because I literally made this map up as I went along, section-by-section. When I got to the temple area I really didn't know how to connect to the next map. I wanted to avoid an all out teleporter ending because that shows up in the next two maps. The idea for the portal was that by killing the Controller, a gate opens up connecting two dead-ends to each other, but I didn't have a handle of warp zones to do this properly at the time (I remember trying to recreate the feeling from Demon Crater).

I guess it's just one of those maps where fun manages to outcast logic and continuity :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 May 2008, 14:04

Ah, the Controller was the first evil Nali creature I ever killed. And he wasn't even a Nali.

Residual Decay and possibly any other map packs should sport more bosses who aren't be killed by the dodge-shoot-dodge-shoot thing; it certainly makes them easy to defeat, unless you're facing a new creature and not an old one with altered properties.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 May 2008, 14:31

UBerserker wrote:Ah, the Controller was the first evil Nali creature I ever killed. And he wasn't even a Nali.

Residual Decay and possibly any other map packs should sport more bosses who aren't be killed by the dodge-shoot-dodge-shoot thing; it certainly makes them easy to defeat, unless you're facing a new creature and not an old one with altered properties.

I agree with that.. I love to kill bosses by solving somethign instead of the non-thinking shoot2kill.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 May 2008, 15:12

Darkon wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Ah, the Controller was the first evil Nali creature I ever killed. And he wasn't even a Nali.

I agree with that.. I love to kill bosses by solving somethign instead of the non-thinking shoot2kill.

Especially if that boss has the ability to kill you with one hit. :o

Previous