A random sentence for a random mind.

14/03/2016 - "Na Pali Haven" by Jeremy War

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 14/03/2016 - "Na Pali Haven" by Jeremy War

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016, 15:46

Map Title: Na Pali Haven
Author: Jeremy War
Filename: SkyTown.unr
Music Files: SkyTwn.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbC7-Y0JBVU

Sypnosis: It turns out that civilisation still prospers in the sky islands, and is also just as oppressed as below.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 14/03/2016 - "Na Pali Haven" by Jeremy War

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016, 20:14

Something I didn't mention in the trivia is this map was initially planned as being more typical medieval/untrustworthy. Basically with enemies stalking you in creepy-sh ways.

Looking from afar it's certainly an ok map but a lot of things feel unfinished (buildings with no door and that lone sign at the end of a road). Always felt like Jeremy War was overwhelmed or he really did things very late without much time.
ImageImage

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016, 13:41

This was one of those maps where I was walking around in awe on the edge of the island, and enemies felt like hindrance as usual for me.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016, 01:39

Na pali Haven is so peaceful, it has one of my favorite songs in the game: All hallows eve. The level itself is a tad rushed, but its atmosphere and gameplay remain pretty damn solid throughout.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016, 23:19

One of my favourite maps, it's got a great unravelling structure on top of the completely new theme and setting which gives it a feeling of adventure despite being a somewhat domestic seeming town style, plus it has the mini-narrative of you peeling things back to discover the depths the Skaarj have infiltrated the place. While more of an exploration map the combat has some nice moments (although the basement ambush is incredibly simple for something with a dramatic music change), and it at least has a lot of ambient value with the critters in the less-travelled areas and things like the Krall playing dice games, and after the ease in from the last map this is the first level where you fight the Krall "properly", so it's got that going for it too. As an optional moment going around the precarious edges of the map for items is also a memorable section.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 01:25

Semfry wrote:One of my favourite maps, it's got a great unravelling structure on top of the completely new theme and setting which gives it a feeling of adventure despite being a somewhat domestic seeming town style, plus it has the mini-narrative of you peeling things back to discover the depths the Skaarj have infiltrated the place. While more of an exploration map the combat has some nice moments (although the basement ambush is incredibly simple for something with a dramatic music change), and it at least has a lot of ambient value with the critters in the less-travelled areas and things like the Krall playing dice games, and after the ease in from the last map this is the first level where you fight the Krall "properly", so it's got that going for it too. As an optional moment going around the precarious edges of the map for items is also a memorable section.

My thoughts pretty much exactly. Na Pali Haven is one of the most iconic Unreal maps, absolutely unforgettable thanks to its theme. A relatively large and long map, I spent over an hour playing the level the first time round. The music is great as well. The world of Unreal acquires new depth with this one.

Interestingly, this map served as the basis for my absolute favourite SP map so far! It'll come along in MOTW at some point ;)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.