Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

21/03/2016 - "Outpost 3J" by Jeremy War

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 21/03/2016 - "Outpost 3J" by Jeremy War

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 13:06

Map Title: Outpost 3J
Author: Jeremy War
Filename: SkyBase.unr
Music Files: Isotoxin.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-BFZRAJ6I

Sypnosis: There is a journey full of relentless shooting action inside the Sky Island's mountain!

Discuss!
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 21/03/2016 - "Outpost 3J" by Jeremy War

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 20:58

Isotoxin is my favorite action track of Unreal. It got me so pumped, that this level felt like a breeze to fight through. I'm actually gonna kick this in again! :D
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 21:28

This map is like the definition of in Unreal. After all that SkyTown oppression Prisoner 849 literally infiltrates and kicks Skaarj's asses one after one in some of the best gameplay flows ever while an awesome song is being played.
ImageImage

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 01:09

editor Dave wrote:Isotoxin is my favorite action track of Unreal. It got me so pumped, that this level felt like a breeze to fight through. I'm actually gonna kick this in again! :D

I remember myself avoiding saving on this map since the music would be gone upon loading, one of the downsides of pre-227 Unreal. This made the map even more challenging back then, now it's a walk in the park on any difficulty. Unless you start the level with absolutely no gear but Dispersion Pistol... Which reminded me of something.

Waaay back in 2001 I played the game for the first time and had no idea how to finish Vortex Rikers (yup, my screen was THAT black I hardly seen anything in darkened places). So I ended up loading levels at random via Windows Explorer. I was surprised that a level could start inside a water-filled tube, with no Scuba Gear, and quite a long way to go. And when I finally surfaced (with slight health loss) I heard an aggressive roar of "something" (I didn't know a thing about Skaarj back then!) and Isotoxin began to play. Needless to say I didn't last very long armed with a Dispersion Pistol only, pitted against an agile opponent with devastating melee attacks. I even haven't had a chance to see how does my enemy look like, since it was just as dark as Rikers was, thanks to my old CRT screen. Boy oh boy, I was 11 back then :D Several years later, after acquiring a good LCD I shredded the poor thing with my ever-loved Flak Cannon.

Now I tried starting this level with no guns and inventory again, but on Unreal difficulty setting. It's crazy, it's suicidal, but very challenging.

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 15:09

Ok, the maps of the week have done it, I will officially start replaying Unreal soon, last I did it was 2008.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 21:28

Anyways you guys basically stated my opinion on the map already, so I don't have too much to talk about. The one thing I wanted to bring up is that the music "Isotoxin." Actually wasnt made for Unreal. It was made by Andrew "Necros" Sega, who I believe Alexander Brandon used to work with. A couple of songs in UT werent made by the listed composers either. Mechanism Eight from UT is also composed by Andrew Sega (DOM-Gharden)

Isotoxin is also the main theme of "Pursuit of Greed." A shitty doom clone with an excellent soundtrack.

Oh yeah and the intro of isotoxin is missing in the Unreal version.

I know a lot about UT and Unreal music composer origin, so feel free to ask. :D

Last edited by Xanious on 23 Mar 2016, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 00:58

This works as a nice contrast to the last map, as it goes from a relatively open environment to a linear one, mostly Nali settings to a mostly Skaarj one, and from low-key music to upbeat music. It executes that well and it's your first proper introduction to the Skaarj base theme. Also memories of everyone half-drowning whenever this level is reached in Co-op.

I wonder if the sky islands were supposed to be more important initially, because it seems kind of odd that you go back to the ground and never go back in a couple of levels after such a major setting shift/reveal.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 01:03

Semfry wrote:I wonder if the sky islands were supposed to be more important initially, because it seems kind of odd that you go back to the ground and never go back in a couple of levels after such a major setting shift/reveal.

They were, one known map even got cut :p
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 22:27

UBerserker wrote:
Semfry wrote:I wonder if the sky islands were supposed to be more important initially, because it seems kind of odd that you go back to the ground and never go back in a couple of levels after such a major setting shift/reveal.

They were, one known map even got cut :p

Amethyst! Come to think of it, the Sky Islands constitute one typical Unreal theme that didn't get a revisit in RTNP :/

Nightmare Kitteh wrote:Anyways you guys basically stated my opinion on the map already, so I don't have too much to talk about. The one thing I wanted to bring up is that the music "Isotoxin." Actually wasnt made for Unreal. It was made by Andrew Sega, who I believe Alexander Brandon used to work with. A couple of songs in UT werent made by the listed composers either. Mechanism Eight from UT is also composed by Andrew Sega (DOM-Gharden)

Isotoxin is also the main theme of "Pursuit of Greed." A shitty doom clone with an excellent soundtrack.

Oh yeah and the intro of isotoxin is missing in the Unreal version.

I know a lot about UT and Unreal music composer origin, so feel free to ask. :D

Don't forget DM-Pyramid!! Thanks for the information on "Isotoxin", listening to the original version also allowed me to come across this other Necros track of awesomeness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tGbES8sHM

Regarding Outpost 3J: it's a great level, quite hard and indeed complements the flow of the game very nicely after Na Pali Haven. By the way, Hellscrag claims to have taken inspiration from this map for Triskaden Station in Déjà Vu v2.01. It's true that the map is quite short and tends to be a bit forgotten later on, when people come out of the huge Mothership adventure. I'll never forget the sight of the hanger with the Skaarj fighter though, and that opening towards freedom was used to great effect in that redux I really want to talk about at some point.

Semfry wrote:Also memories of everyone half-drowning whenever this level is reached in Co-op.

hehe, it's stuff like this that makes me wish I had had the chance to experience co-op :D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 23:56

Sat42 wrote:Don't forget DM-Pyramid!! Thanks for the information on "Isotoxin", listening to the original version also allowed me to come across this other Necros track of awesomeness:

Energia is an awesome song. I'd have to say my favorite Necros song is undecided at this point. Anyways, I'd reccomend checking out websites like "Mod-Archive" , and programs like "OpenMPT." (also check out alexander brandons other stuff too, its pretty solid.)

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016, 21:30

Nightmare Kitteh wrote:
Sat42 wrote:Don't forget DM-Pyramid!! Thanks for the information on "Isotoxin", listening to the original version also allowed me to come across this other Necros track of awesomeness:

Energia is an awesome song. I'd have to say my favorite Necros song is undecided at this point. Anyways, I'd reccomend checking out websites like "Mod-Archive" , and programs like "OpenMPT." (also check out alexander brandons other stuff too, its pretty solid.)

Yo, thanks, The Mod Archive is great and I'll be looking into getting OpenMPT or some similar module player :) and yeah, I love Alexander Brandon's work in general, including stuff from his more recent albums ("Violet Eclectic" and "Earthscape" for example).
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.