Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

11/04/2016 - "Dasa Mountain Pass" by Myscha the sled dog

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 11/04/2016 - "Dasa Mountain Pass" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016, 12:18

Map Title: Dasa Mountain Pass
Author: Myscha the sled dog
Filename: DasaPass.unr
Music Files: newmca7.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPFcFyo4uU

Sypnosis: After a warehouse ambush you enter a series of fortifications built into a mountain pass; it seems something important is ahead...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 11/04/2016 - "Dasa Mountain Pass" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016, 22:43

Dang, I didn't even manage to comment on Bluff Eversmoking :tdown: I'll talk about it somewhere else, along with other maps for which I missed the chance to comment on in MOTW.

Dasa Mountain Pass is cool, the screenshot with the bridge in particular is iconic of Unreal, I think. I love this type of setting in general, and I'm pretty sure this map inspired many mappers in the community. The action is good and the unconventional way of moving forward - which frankly made me feel like I was looking for a secret area on my first playthrough - is a plus in my book. It's not massive and it isn't a contender for the title of "best map of the game" - unlike the previous level - but as a transition map it's great.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016, 22:11

I missed most of these threads as well. Wanted to comment on 'Noork's Elbow', which was one of my fav maps, but nope =( Oh well.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought this was Cellars at Dasa Mountain Pass. My bad. I'll save my response to it for next week.

In the UT2004 port, which I played for several years, this and the following cellar map was one whole map just like in the beta so it's weird for me to think of them separately now. The things that always stood out to me was the big Skaarj warehouse at the beginning, with all the ISV-Kran crates, and that cool water area right near the end. Like Sat42 said, it's a great transition map, though I kind of liked it merged with it's successor better =P

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 03:31

Its a pretty good transition level to a map that I have mixed feelings about. Don't have much else to say.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 11:57

It's a reaaaaallly boring transition map but Cellars make up with the fun.
The storage area at the beginning is kinda iconic though. Felt like it would have been more memorable if they stayed with the underground river concept instead.
ImageImage

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 12:52

The bridge was cool and memorable, I don't remember anything else.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016, 02:14

Probably one of the more nondescript levels in the game, between the linearity and stuff like it literally having a crate warehouse. The warehouse encounter does have some tense moments with all the dark corners, but there isn't much to the rest, and the concept of an assault on a fortification could have been much more exciting. However, it's not really long enough for the relatively generic design to be much of a problem, and it does do it's job as a transition between two much bigger levels.
Formerly Mman