A random sentence for a random mind.

18/04/2016 - "Cellars at Dasa Pass" by Myscha the sled dog

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 18/04/2016 - "Cellars at Dasa Pass" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016, 12:54

Map Title: Cellars at Dasa Pass
Author: Myscha the sled dog
Filename: DasaCellars.unr
Music Files: newmca7.umx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolAsEPrVmE

Sypnosis: Prisoner 849 gets the time of their shooting life.

Discuss!
ImageImage

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: 18/04/2016 - "Cellars at Dasa Pass" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016, 21:10

This map drove me nuts the first couple of play throughs, and STILL confuses me to this day. The layout is a mess; so many triggers. Way more annoying than the Terraniux ever was (but still not as annoying as un-finished Cryox.)

Ironic since it is one of my favorites maps, as I love the atmosphere and music for it.. and yes, even the annoying layout. It is an example of level design that I miss nowadays, which includes the ability to get horribly, horribly lost. Like Bluff Eversmoking (and a lot of the game, really), it has some areas that are there just to be 'there' (kind of why it's so easy to get lost..), including some interesting secrets which I admit I only just figured out about a couple months ago!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016, 13:28

No matter how many times you play this map it's always fun. Flows so good that every regular position change ends up with an enemy encounter.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016, 17:28

I enjoy this map more every time I come back to it. Just now I discovered how much the titan likes to kill the krall if you can get them to lock eyes on each other. The krall killed him in the end, but it saved me a job. The third ambush might be the hardest because the krall don't come out of a choke point, but I feel like it's the shortest as well so it evens out. It's still true that progression is frustratingly vague at some points, although I know the map well enough now that it didn't take me too long to get from place to place. I wouldn't have thought that such an arcadey level would be good for Unreal (it's kind of the opposite of the storyline and atmosphere I love the game for), but it's also the only map really like this in the game so it stands out for that reason.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016, 22:53

This map is more of a gameplay highlight than a story or atmosphere highlight. Like it's atmosphere is good, but that's not what makes this level great. It's just a fun little dungeon rampage with a lot of variety and creative action set pieces. Still perfer Bluff and the mothership levels though :P

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 02:10

Like Bluff Eversmoking I feel I've already said plenty about this one in the past, albeit for less positive reasons; I don't feel the loss of translator messages helps it at all, it has some of the most obscure progression in the game and Krall aren't the most exciting enemy type to centre arena fights around (although the Stone Titan mini-boss with Krall in-fighting is pretty cool, even if it doesn't make much sense). It does have some nice moments though and it being the purest "dungeon crawl" in the game sort of works if you just accept that nothing's really added to the overarching backstory here.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 21:24

This map...is the BANE of my existence. It had me running around in circles like an idiot. I'm not a dungeon crawler myself...
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 21:40

I remember i played this map 1 time, a year ago, the thing i remember mostly was that Stone Titan, i wonder why that thing is there, yeah, that zone it's a trap, so it makes sense.
I grant you the ultimate power!

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 22:55

Jigoku wrote:This map...is the BANE of my existence. It had me running around in circles like an idiot. I'm not a dungeon crawler myself...

So I wasn't the only one! :D

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 11:13

Unreal indoor maps are my least favorite.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016, 13:29

The purest "dungeon crawl" in the game as Semfry said, and I think it's memorable enough thanks to its set pieces and the rather obscure progression which deliver a real challenge. It's old-fashioned alright, not typical of Unreal, but yeah it stands out for that reason.

I remember getting a couple of frights in here, as well, which means the level is effective in building up its rather dark mood.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.