ividyon will never get this done, will he.

02/05/2016 - "Nali Castle" by Shane Caudle

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 02/05/2016 - "Nali Castle" by Shane Caudle

Post Posted: 02 May 2016, 17:20

Map Title: Nali Castle
Author: Shane Caudle
Filename: NaliC.unr
Music Files: WarGate.umx

Video Playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMf6mUa0pss

Sypnosis: Prisoner 849 reached Nali Castle.

Discuss!
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 02/05/2016 - "Nali Castle" by Shane Caudle

Post Posted: 02 May 2016, 17:33

Definitely the most disappointing major map in the game and probably one of the bottom worst in the campaign. Once you get to deal with the Krall on the bridge you're pretty much close to entering one of the map's myriad of issues that could have not been a thing if Shane put more time into it - it's like this is the only map of his that hardly got out of beta stage, even his cut levels looked and played better. Unless you didn't know you could climb the rocks, you were forced to take the sewer entrance in case you were locked out of the castle and that meant having to hear the battle music until ALL THE WAY to the boss battle.
Outdoor part looks really decent, indoor part fares the opposite. Ugly, all cube-shaped and overscaled rooms with almost no detail, missing torch brushes and a lot of things that do not make any sense at all like that random window in one of the corridor. The whole map is literally crumbling apart (aside being obviously unfinished).

The gameplay has its moments like the spiral staircase but that's about it really. Music deserved much better.
ImageImage

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 03 May 2016, 02:14

I remember being really excited when I first came across this map because it was 'the level depicted on the box.' Also, I only very recently learned about the sewer/well entrance in the moat, which I found totally by random one day messing around on the map.

Have to agree that the layout is weird and the map is overly dark in some places. Even Vandora Temple feels like it has more lights and it's supposed to be abandoned..

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 09:09

The castle inside feels hollow and beta, especially the cellar. My highpoints were the very beginning when I realized it's the caste from the intro and when I was at the very top of the castle enjoying the view.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 05 May 2016, 19:36

Nali Castle does feel somewhat unfinished in some areas, and I do acknowledge that it isnt really all that great of a level. But I still heavily enjoy it. Mostly just due to the atmosphere and music. :D

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 08 May 2016, 00:08

I really like the way it's a fully realised location and all the optional areas. It also has the bonus of the reveal that you've reached the flyby map (which is fitting as it's the last "Nali" map before the fully tech mothership maps). While it's weaker than other full location maps like Bluff Eversmoking, those are my favourites in general, so it being one of the weaker ones still puts it among my favourites.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 May 2016, 11:12

This map felt aMAZEing to me at first.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 May 2016, 01:38

Pretty darn impressive the first time round, and I agree with Semfry's post on this map being a fully realised location - albeit somewhat bland in areas, yes. I still remember the "bombing run" with the Skaarj fighter and my Nali guide dying as a result. The map may have been rushed but it still comes with several set pieces and fortunately I did not encounter the music bug. The "execution" was a memorable moment too, and there was a suitably moody transition to the next (boss) level.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.