ividyon will never get this done, will he.

20/06/2016 - "The Darkening" by Eenocks

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Doublez-Down, Delacroix, UBerserker, Jigoku

User avatar UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 20/06/2016 - "The Darkening" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016, 16:16

Map Title: The Darkening
Author: Eenocks
Filename: ExtremeDark.unr
Music Files: Unreal4.umx

Video Playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqvgqzYYYs

Sypnosis: The main power source is destroyed. Something is glowing in the dark. Prisoner 849 will shut down those lights too.

Discuss!

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 20/06/2016 - "The Darkening" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016, 14:26

Great atmosphere and one of the more unique maps in Unreal. Not necessarily one of my favorites, but it has its place.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016, 02:32

This level somewhat manages to justify the pretty confined structure of the mothership, as you realise most of it was interlinked all along (well, there's a chance you won't even a notice it's backtracking the first time with how different it feels), and it was all building up to this. The miniboss super-Iceskaarj is also kind of a surprise the first time.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Nightmare Kitteh
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016, 22:02

I like how the Searchlight is called a flashlight if it depletes because the developers never expected you to be so stupid as to run out of searchlight energy.
(also known as Xanious)

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016, 11:25

One of the more iconic levels of the game. The Darkening is also the last fully-fledged level before the end (which is a transition level and the mandatory boss map).
It's interesting how the level plays out as a more open experience as opposed to a string of set pieces, which is what a lot of "horror" maps tend to favour (Vortex Rikers-style). I remember falling down a walkway here and wondering whether I was doomed for a while, before managing to find my way and eventually understand how the layout comes together.

Great stuff :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.