This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

11/07/2016 - "Ehactora's Passage Part One" by Doublez-Down

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 11/07/2016 - "Ehactora's Passage Part One" by Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016, 23:21

Map Title: Ehactora's Passage Part One
Author: Rob 'Doublez-Down' Collins
Filename: EhactoraOne.unr
Music Files: Dusk.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ewIB_8yqWk

Synopsis: You begin your search for the Fifth Vortex.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: 11/07/2016 - "Ehactora's Passage Part One" by Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016, 04:27

I'm curious what the purpose of the skaarj lurking sounds in the two-stair room was.

This map does a nice merging of Nyleve, Sacred Passage, and Chizra's location styles. I can't say it's my favorite map in the pack, but it's a stellar introduction to a classic Unreal campaign. I'm going to have to play this again soon.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016, 14:06

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:I'm curious what the purpose of the skaarj lurking sounds in the two-stair room was.

Not sure which room you a referring to. There are some lurking sounds in a dark hallway that are just there for effect. Perhaps that is where you mean.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 18:23

Is it just me or is the video incredibly choppy?
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 19:39

Doublez-Down wrote:Is it just me or is the video incredibly choppy?

Runs at 60fps on HD quality.

This is a really nice map but surprisingly really easy to die because the Predators have been ultra buffed in this pack.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 20:01

UBerserker wrote:
Doublez-Down wrote:Is it just me or is the video incredibly choppy?

Runs at 60fps on HD quality.

This is a really nice map but surprisingly really easy to die because the Predators have been ultra buffed in this pack.

Must be my computer or something, changed it to 720p and it worked fine. Never had to do that before though. I don't recall that we changed any of the predator's actual settings for the pack. Maybe Teridax can speak to this.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 20:02

Teridax definitely did lol, the melee damage of Predators was increased and they kill you really quickly.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 20:10

Looking at the different maps, the predators all do 5 damage, which is the same as what the regular NaPali105 predators do. Is that a different value from what the original RtNP predators use?

My favorite area is the outdoor temple at the start, and I like how the interior of the temple is roomy enough for you to move around while you're fighting.

Edit: Regular RtNP predators also do 5 damage, but the NaPali105 predators have damage scaling based on difficulty.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 20:51

AlCapowned wrote:Edit: Regular RtNP predators also do 5 damage, but the NaPali105 predators have damage scaling based on difficulty.

That explains it ahah
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 01:15

A good starting map that establishes the "classic with some flourishes" style of the set. It has a nice progression as you go from the outside to a temple area, and it introduces some puzzle elements and similar as well, as well as the secrets (I'm not sure if I've found all the secrets on this level before, it's hard to tell as only the artifacts have a hint and not the actual secrets). It is kind of odd how the first Pack Hunter fight ends up being the most brutal thing in the level if you're playing on Unreal though.

The video seems to run fine for me, so I'm guessing it's unrelated to this video specifically. If I had it too I'd probably reupload it given I can't (practically) watch videos at HD anyway.
Formerly Mman

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 12:32

Yeah, it's a nice introductory level, the first predator pack was a welcome surprise and the temple seems well structured with its entries tied together. Killing the Nali was probably the most cruel act I was forced to in an Unreal map :D

I didn't really like the music choice of Dig, though, because it made me think too much of the beginning of Unreal itself (including the terragen like terrain) leading almost to the perception of this map being a clone, but I was thankfully wrong!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 13:21

editor Dave wrote:Yeah, it's a nice introductory level, the first predator pack was a welcome surprise and the temple seems well structured with its entries tied together. Killing the Nali was probably the most cruel act I was forced to in an Unreal map :D

I didn't really like the music choice of Dig, though, because it made me think too much of the beginning of Unreal itself (including the terragen like terrain) leading almost to the perception of this map being a clone, but I was thankfully wrong!

Dig is not the music in the map. :wink:

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 16:44

There is the same music like in the Sacred Passage. And all the map looks like the Sacred Passage. This is very cool and authentic. The Ehactora's Passage transfers all the feelings of the original game. However, for me fighting on unreal difficulty is much harder then in the Sacred Passage... Predators were unexpected in this location and made me nervous. :) And there is one moment which looks out of place for me. This is texturing of two boxes in the start of the map. I would prefer another one, for example textures of standard wooden squared boxes.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 21:24

Doublez-Down wrote:Dig is not the music in the map. :wink:

My bad, I meant Dusk, of course, which is why I had that strong association with NyLeve in the first place.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 22:09

Yeah it's sometimes tough to determine what stock music to use. For instance, if I had used Dig in this map, then it certainly wouldn't have matched, since everyone would associate that with a mine-themed map. So using Dusk for an outdoor intro map was basically a safe and effective option.

Next