A random sentence for a random mind.

31/7/2016 - "Nagomi Passage" by Nivlek

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 31/7/2016 - "Nagomi Passage" by Nivlek

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016, 13:08

Map Title: Nagomi Passage
Author: Pancho/Nivlek
Filename: Nagomi.unr
Music Files: Sacred.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sixN32K2xw

Synopsis: You find a tract of land that seems to be full of different structures. Time to explore.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 31/7/2016 - "Nagomi Passage" by Nivlek

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016, 23:54

Like the exploration of this map and the way it twists around on itself. This one served as some inspiration for The Fifth Vortex. It can be a bit short though if you don't spend time exploring and just go straight through.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016, 01:41

I accidentally posted this a day early. For any final comments I'll just reopen last weeks thread until later tomorrow.

Edit: Closed now.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016, 22:42

Semfry wrote:I accidentally posted this a day early. For any final comments I'll just reopen last weeks thread until later tomorrow.

Edit: Closed now.

Aw man, I remember being upset on Sunday morning seeing the thread was already closed and then happy this morning seeing the thread re-opened and now that I can finally settle in front of the PC the thread is closed again :(

About Nagomi Passage: great as a transition map, but the hub concept hinted at here could've been pushed much further - see UB's U1 Trivia Thread - and for me that itch only got scratched with Legacy which actually had a functional hub map.

Still, lovely atmosphere and the way it comes together (letting you go in completely different directions to see different locales - although ultimately the map is actually linear) is somewhat original for a transition map in Unreal/RTNP.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016, 13:46

If you want to comment on last week's map you can always post it here and I can move it.

A pretty small and simple map in itself, but, despite having linear progression, the "hub" concept makes it one of the most memorable parts of RTNP. It's also one of the only parts of RTNP to really try anything beyond what the original game does; the execution might not be especially impressive but that contributes to it being a section that stands-out.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016, 15:29

Better than the day version no doubt. Really wished they sticked with the old Aztec concept, RTNP's one was just plain terrible and geographically fucked up as well. Nivlek didn't even bother changing any of the crypt architecture.
ImageImage