Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

29/08/2016 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by El Chicoverde

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 29/08/2016 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by El Chicoverde

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016, 22:30

Map Title: The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a
Author: El Chicoverde
Filename: np15chico.unr
Music Files: UTemple.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yb9AGUgbWI

Synopsis: More ruins!

Discuss!
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 29/08/2016 - "The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a" by El Chicoverde

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016, 22:32

Really super filler map
ImageImage

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 18:15

Really enjoy the contrast between the lava and sky in the first pic. Chico is/was definitely the king of the ruins-type maps.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016, 11:51

Hm, I only seem to remember the exterior sections which I was pretty impressed with (as is expected of Chico), but other than that, the video couldn't refresh my memory either, so I guess I have to agree with Uberserker's assessment.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016, 22:21

A great map in some ways (especially aesthetics), but, like many ONP maps, it's so straightforward and streamlined that it kind of sails past without making you really pay attention at all.

Svalley 2 being last week's map makes an interesting contrast. That map is far more openly flawed and less polished, and straight up bullshit in some ways, but it ends up being more memorable overall by demanding that you engage with it and keeping to a unique design vision even when that justifiably puts many people off it.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016, 16:54

Semfry wrote:A great map in some ways (especially aesthetics), but, like many ONP maps, it's so straightforward and streamlined that it kind of sails past without making you really pay attention at all.

Svalley 2 being last week's map makes an interesting contrast. That map is far more openly flawed and less polished, and straight up bullshit in some ways, but it ends up being more memorable overall by demanding that you engage with it and keeping to a unique design vision even when that justifiably puts many people off it.

Technically, I agree with a lot of this. My personal experience from playing this map tells me that The Lost Sanctuary of Kalishr'a: Part 1 is still better than last week's MOTW, and when you consider both parts of the sanctuary together, then for me it becomes as good as Temple of Eelhandra for example. But this map alone is short, if impressive, and only medium in terms of difficulty. No real story progression either. Great, but not the best (and not the best of Chico's contributions to ONP, either).

I do remember how lush it was in terms of details.

EDIT: speaking of how richly detailed the build is, I also now remember specifically how the abundance of eye candy eventually led me to be confused as to where the next passage lay and how I was supposed to proceed - that was right after the bit underwater, I missed the lever and got stuck for a few minutes wandering around before noticing it - that is something that happens rarely in ONP!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.