Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

9/19/2016 - "Entry to Triskaden" by Mman/Semfry

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 9/19/2016 - "Entry to Triskaden" by Mman/Semfry

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016, 02:02

Map Title: Entry to Triskaden
Author: Shaun "MMAN UGITU" Friend
Filename: USP-11-MMNANUGITU.unr
Music Files: null.umx, Nali.umx

Synopsis: The player enters a Skaarj base from a Nali temple by accident.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 9/19/2016 - "Entry to Triskaden" by Mman/Semfry

Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016, 20:04

A chill map. Also the sounds you hear at the beginning are pretty cool. Boss fight nice as well.

That's all, relaxing overall.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016, 12:46

I think this map was made close to the deadline because I wanted to resolve the Carpathus plotline, so I think it was finished in less than a week, maybe even a few days.

The obviously Hourences inspired big entrance corridor was from something I had stopped working on before that was an attempt to emulate that style. So I just put it in this level with changes for the mood (I think it came from an Ice Skaarj level) so there was a least something detailed here. Then the rest was made really fast. It kind of shows and, while the Skaarj are hardly known for restraint, it doesn't really fit for a giant corridor like that to lead into some small simple rooms. For something thrown together so fast it does it's job though.

I accomplished my goal of getting the plotline in though. I intended the pillars to be a strategic element, and didn't want a monster with a one-hit kill + sort-of flight to be too free. In retrospect I do think I should have gave it a bit more room to move and maybe added a twist or two (like some cracks in the pillars to give it more openings). It still worked out okay though. There not being any actual payoff to the plotline is my biggest regret from Deja Vu, but that did inform my later work (since it made me understand the importance of giving a satisfying payoff to things), and it did open future opportunities :wink: .
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016, 14:01

Semfry wrote:I think this map was made close to the deadline because I wanted to resolve the Carpathus plotline, so I think it was finished in less than a week, maybe even a few days.

Even though it's a different map, what was the deal with the locked exit gate in your previous DV2 level? The door with the laser beams which would supposedly lead to Maekh's map. Was it a team decision or there was some dropped idea? (or a DV1 leftover?)
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016, 14:52

When Maekh made the temple entrance in his map I just thought it would be a cool idea if it was implied to be the entrance to my map and that things were linked and you had essentially took a big diversion. The idea could probably have been better communicated in some way though (like actually bringing back the laser geometry or entrance room to make the connection more overt).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016, 00:40

Semfry wrote:I think this map was made close to the deadline because I wanted to resolve the Carpathus plotline, so I think it was finished in less than a week, maybe even a few days.

Holy crap! Then again I've seen how fast some of you can be with the UED Game of Telephone :P

Well Entry to Triskaden is definitely a "short but sweet" map, in fact it's great - I remember my first playthrough well, I liked that big cave and big entrance corridor inspired by Hourences' work (but I didn't find the Easter egg, I just checked the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4ncEg6JNE that's hilarious :P ), and yeah like UB said, the sounds you hear in there are really cool, especially upon entering that dark room - they set the mood, and I recall getting a nasty fright when suddenly falling through the ground and having Pupae jump on me :B it's effective! And of course, I really enjoyed getting to the bottom of the story of Carpathus, more could've been done with it but in the context of Déjà Vu - Gryphon Revisited it was already massive, and indeed the boss fight was nice - at the time I got a bit of damage from some of the bouncing rocks, it was tense but I made it in one go - average in terms of difficulty. Nowadays I'm probably too trained :P and would like it to be more challenging, but again in the context of a kind of "pure Unreal-like" campaign this was suitable (I experienced the more challenging packs like Xidia later). Although I might be a bit out of practice since it's been a year since I last had easy access to the game...

Semfry wrote:When Maekh made the temple entrance in his map I just thought it would be a cool idea if it was implied to be the entrance to my map and that things were linked and you had essentially took a big diversion. The idea could probably have been better communicated in some way though (like actually bringing back the laser geometry or entrance room to make the connection more overt).

This I remember very well too, I liked that, I recall getting to Fortress of K'etrith and like I said in the latter's MOTW thread: "if one thing stands out to me, it's the "connectivity" with the Temple of Novana (I never realised it was meant to be the "front" entrance, though): that added credibility to the world being forged here."
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016, 00:21

Before Semfry opens the new MOTW - kinda interesting things went that way. Honestly I remember locking in myself in the Maekh's part of the temple until I realized one of the stone faces could be pressed.
And yeah, regarding the easter egg, it's a thing related to USP's early years. I think they were in the old forums.
ImageImage