Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

26/09/2016 - "Processing" by jazzyb

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 26/09/2016 - "Processing" by jazzyb

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016, 01:24

Map Title: 'Processing'
Author: jazzyb
Filename: onp-map06processingx.unr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCySIrggM0M

Synopsis: You enter a processing section of the facility.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: 26/09/2016 - "Processing" by jazzyb

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016, 21:49

Hi!
Sorry it's been a very long time since I made a comment on anything in the forums.
The last five years are a period of time I wish to forget in a personal way.
Illness, two family deaths, loss of girlfriend, money, job and house can take it's toll!

On a brighter note the next pack is almost finished with about 3/4 of the last map left to finish.
I'm suffering from map makers block at the moment but that should pass. It wont be in the next few months unfortunately as I'm training to be a wind turbine tech in hull.

I remember the above map as one that took quite a while to do as there were a lot of things I wanted to achieve in its scope. I do remember having to bin a few ideas because of the engine limits, and I think the FPS took a few hits on the way; However, I was pleased with the result in the end.

The new pack has a mix of Human, Nali, Ancient and Skaarj levels as opposed to the main Human theme in the 'First Day' Pack. I'm hoping you all like it. :)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016, 00:32

Wow: news from "Xenome" jazzy. \o/
Glad to see you back and hopefully you've found a way to cope with the misfortunes !

About this map:
One of the best of the whole mappack, visually, conceptually and the way the path forward is constructed. Some really surpising layouts with a couple of puzzles along the way.

One very difficult part in the map (video around 5:35). The video was made on Easy IIRC (perhaps Medium) and that fight is doable but on higher difficulty levels (especially on Unreal) it's very unfair and I can't see anyone get past that horde on a first try (on Unreal this battle took me at least 10 tries - with some quicksaving after some crucial hits, and that after having played Xenome on Easy, Medium and Hard not all that long ago). But even with that section (just Godmode this section if necessary) the following sections are simply some of the most interesting ever, damage is inavoidable, but not crippling if you take it the right path (look and think before you leap :) ).
It's been too long ago since I've played Xenome and parts of the video hardly ring a bell, but I'm amazed at the complexity of the map without it becoming overkill.

If Xenome part 2 even just approaches the quality of this map - the wait will have been worth it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016, 01:17

jazz wrote:Hi!
Sorry it's been a very long time since I made a comment on anything in the forums.
The last five years are a period of time I wish to forget in a personal way.
Illness, two family deaths, loss of girlfriend, money, job and house can take it's toll!

On a brighter note the next pack is almost finished with about 3/4 of the last map left to finish.
I'm suffering from map makers block at the moment but that should pass. It wont be in the next few months unfortunately as I'm training to be a wind turbine tech in hull.

I remember the above map as one that took quite a while to do as there were a lot of things I wanted to achieve in its scope. I do remember having to bin a few ideas because of the engine limits, and I think the FPS took a few hits on the way; However, I was pleased with the result in the end.

The new pack has a mix of Human, Nali, Ancient and Skaarj levels as opposed to the main Human theme in the 'First Day' Pack. I'm hoping you all like it. :)

Holy shit man it's been a while, sup! Seems like you've been through all kind of terrible things from the looks of it, hope everything is better now.

Was just thinking about Xenome the other day, still wishing the sequel would come out. I still feel like it's going to come out before TCO/Firestorm. Good luck :)
ImageImage

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016, 01:24

I remember Jazzy saying something about basing these maps off of the places he worked. I'd love to have seen some pictures of the source architecture - these environments, for being built in UE1, demonstrate a near uncanny attention to detail. Scarily good looking and unique.

The gameplay I remember the least, for much of the pack, but it's been a while since I played it. Based on the video, it doesn't look half bad. Always loved ambushes.
Last edited by Jet v4.3.5 on 28 Sep 2016, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016, 18:46

Thx guys.
I think the play-through was from the earlier version where the gameplay was all over the place and the messages where pretty lame. :shake:
The solution came from the replies on this forum which I took on board and addressed.
I'm pretty gash at playing on hard or unreal but someone did mention how to map for these modes and it worked for the most part. I then used 'Word' to iron out the messages and then copy and pasted.

The design was based on where I worked at the time but obviously changed for the mod. The next pack is more from my head as its a different mix of things. At the last count its 14 maps long and starts the player exactly where they finished with all the items they had.
I'll try to finish before Xmas.
No promises !!! :wink:

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016, 16:58

jazz wrote:I think the play-through was from the earlier version where the gameplay was all over the place and the messages where pretty lame. :shake:

It might be; the playthrough was back in 2010, so it depends if the new version had come out by then.

Guess my old comment mostly applies now.

Semfry wrote:This level has some of my favourite visuals in the pack, with stuff like the huge machine rooms and various moving parts, like I said in the review I also like the way the pack transitions from clean labs into more deteriorated settings (with this being one of the main transitions to that).

On the other hard, this is the level where performance issues getting in the way of combat sticks out, although the areas are detailed enough that it makes sense, and the ambush from the doorway is one part where I had some issues with doors locking behind you to prevent retreat. In the large machine area the way to go is also a little vague and I'm still not really sure on the "right" way to do it, and you can get stuck if you jump in the pit the cargo things come from before turning the machine on.

The jumping puzzles seem to have been designed with dodging in mind as that makes some of the tougher jumps pretty easy, as long as you're careful it's not too hard though. This is the level with the section that's really close to a part of Opposing Force for Half-Life, but I guess it can be considered a homage :) .
Formerly Mman

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016, 18:58

Thx Semfry.

I remember now, The fog elements were taken out and various gameplay parts were changed to align with the difficulty levels. I wont say anyone's name but there was someone on these forums who helped me a great deal during the final version which hasn't been released yet. I will release it when I knit them all together but only with his permission as there is programming involved which I don't own. This last version is pretty good! :)

As for Jets request, unfortunately, I cant show you any photos of the source material as no phones or cameras were allowed on site to show you.
If you look at the 1st and 3rd screen it shows some kind of cylinder type structure, I based this on the 'hydrocarbon cracker'. It's simply a large industrial distillation tower that 'cracks' the large hydrocarbons into long chain distillates such as heavy gas oil, diesel, gasoline all the way up to methane, ethane, kerosene etc.

The 2nd shot is the hydrogen gas turbines which power part of the plant which excess gas from the process (the Krall love those things it seems).

The 4th shot was something I just made up on the fly with the green slime on the floor. I didn't intend it to be similar to HLOF but it did turn out that way. In the end I thought, oh well, it does look like it and maybe it plays like it too much but I couldn't be bothered to change it! :oops: