Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

10/10/2016 - "Strangeworld: Part 4" by DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 10/10/2016 - "Strangeworld: Part 4" by DavidM

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016, 06:30

Map Title: Strangeworld: Part 4
Author: David Münnich
Filename: strange4.unr
Music Files: none

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jFe25S5hrY

Synopsis: You infiltrate a Mercenary base in the middle of nowhere. Yeah!

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 10/10/2016 - "Strangeworld: Part 4" by DavidM

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016, 12:52

Not a single comment so I'll chime in.
I think this is the best Strangeworld map. Looks really nice and there's a lot of action. Just typical classic Mercenary stuff but at the end of the day I'm not sure why DavidM put some items on the upper bed row (third shot), they are completely unreachable from what I know without doing rocket jumping.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016, 13:07

Another level where my old comments are still there (with some slight tweaks because it referenced another post before):

This level is a very unique take on the Mercenary theme (with stuff like the reflecting floors), yet I simultaneously find it a bit forgettable in terms of Strange World as a whole. While there's a bit of non-linearity, it does little to hide the basic progression, and only has few of scripted sequences (namely the body being thrown, freeing the Skaarj and the force-fields going off), along with the pointless part where you press a switch and then have to backtrack down just to press another switch and then walk back again. It's still a decent map though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016, 22:16

I think this map has definitely had an influence on me. The reflecting floors as an element of the Mercenary theme seems kind of natural to me now.
The Mercs could show up in numbers if you weren't careful but only a couple of sections are actually tricky, so I'd consider the challenge of this map to be average. It's also quite short.
Rocket jumping to reach items is very "gamey" but typical of levels of that era I'd say (in particular, DavidM always liked experimenting with gimmicks like that). Funny how you teleport into a pool as well :P
A great oldschool map overall, but IMO not the best from Strange World ;)

PS: the previous two MOTWs I have yet to play, but I'm a bit pissed I missed the chance to give my views on Ortican :x :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016, 23:49

UBerserker wrote:... I'm not sure why DavidM put some items on the upper bed row (third shot), they are completely unreachable from what I know without doing rocket jumping.

I also scratched my head thinking about those items but if I recall correctly I found a way to push a set of boxes from another room to that one so that you could jump onto the top of the bed. A single box is easy, but you have to push a moveable box from a big (unmoveable) box on to a single moveable box (and you'ld better clear the whole level first). I am certain I did that somewhere and from the video I think it was in this map.

EDIT:
Tested today and memory didn't fail me.
It's perfectly possible to set up 2 stapled boxes and move them to the aforementioned room. It takes some careful positioning but it doesn't need any rocket science (pun intended 8) )

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016, 23:12

UBerserker wrote:Not a single comment so I'll chime in.
I think this is the best Strangeworld map. Looks really nice and there's a lot of action. Just typical classic Mercenary stuff but at the end of the day I'm not sure why DavidM put some items on the upper bed row (third shot), they are completely unreachable from what I know without doing rocket jumping.

Having to rocket jump is okay as long as there is health around to make up for the damage taken while trying to reach the object.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse