Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

07/11/2016 - "Valley of Se'Greth" by Cardiologist

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 07/11/2016 - "Valley of Se'Greth" by Cardiologist

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 20:20

Map Title: Valley of Se'Greth
Author: Kimmo "Cardiologist" Kontto
Filename: ST-SeGrethValley
Music Files: suspense.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeasBu9IAI0

Synopsis: Lucky circumstances free you from your imprisonment, but now you are caught in a fight between the Mercenaries and Krall.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 07/11/2016 - "Valley of Se'Greth" by Cardiologist

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 20:23

My old comments still apply here:

I don't think making a sequel to a pack with a very distinct (and hard to replicate) style with little focus on story did this set too many favours, and it would probably have felt better if it was treated as a separate pack or semi-related spin-off instead. This level is enjoyable, but, beyond a couple of Merc vs Krall fights it feels a bit lacking in stand-out moments and is quite linear; there's nothing wrong with it at all but it feels like it's lacking something. Even some small things like opening up the valley a bit so you can see more of the later areas would have helped.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016, 19:35

Never played it.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016, 00:38

Hell yeah, man, this map has one of my favourite tracks in the whole of Unreal/UT: suspense.umx, which you can hear in the Mercenary base but also in the Pupae chambers of the previous level.

Valley of Se'Greth is kind of a meaty transition level compared to Nr'Gatoth Base, being average in terms of difficulty and sandwiched by two harder levels, and it adequately sets the stage for the third map. It's excellent at that, maybe one of the things that struck me most gameplay-wise was the distinct feeling that the Krall were more of a threat than the Mercenaries. The fights between both races were in just about sufficient quantity to make the conflict noticeable, kind of like Nuk'Ratha Pass in Déjà Vu - Gryphon Revisited v2.01 (Operation Na Pali took the concept of fights between AI units much further, and even Strange World showed more than here).

I have to say, I like the feel of the actual valley, how the lighting is managed and the general composition.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.