Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

12/05/2016 - "The Lands of Rostivelt" by David Münnich

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 12/05/2016 - "The Lands of Rostivelt" by David Münnich

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016, 21:59

Map Title: Map 22: The Lands of Rostivelt
Author: David Münnich
Filename: NP22DavidM.unr
Music Files: Vortex.umx, Crater.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLGT8aMPGxQ

Synopsis: A Skaarj outpost in a canyon.

Discuss!

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 12/05/2016 - "The Lands of Rostivelt" by David Münnich

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016, 23:56

Really enjoyed the scale and lighting in this map, and I remember it being fairly awe-inspiring at the time. Didn't care much for the playability of it, but I suppose a lot of ONP is like that. This (and some others from ONP) was one of those maps that made me realize I had SO MUCH to learn as a budding mapper that I just about gave it up - well I suppose I did for a while.

Wish I had more time to work on anything!
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 22:32

This is the most ONP-ass level in ONP. It looks good and has some impressive moments (although lots of it is ripped from DavidM's DM-Seed, which stuck out right away. Then again, I'm not sure on the timeline so it could have been partially concurrent?), but it's very linear, and most of the set-piece moments are more style than substance. Also, despite looking good, there's not really much of a sense of place beyond some generic Skaarj base; partially because of the linearity, but also because it adheres so dogmatically to ONP's cookie-cutter "leet" design style that it doesn't feel like it has anything distinguishing about it aesthetically. It does nothing notably bad and doesn't have any particular technical design flaws, but, in the end, it's just sort of there.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 22:38

It's a really REALLY generic map but the starting canyon looks sort of cool.
Also Vortex playing gives a "feeling out of place" atmosphere.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 00:00

Semfry wrote:This is the most ONP-ass level in ONP. It looks good and has some impressive moments (although lots of it is ripped from DavidM's DM-Seed, which stuck out right away. Then again, I'm not sure on the timeline so it could have been partially concurrent?), but it's very linear, and most of the set-piece moments are more style than substance. Also, despite looking good, there's not really much of a sense of place beyond some generic Skaarj base; partially because of the linearity, but also because it adheres so dogmatically to ONP's cookie-cutter "leet" design style that it doesn't feel like it has anything distinguishing about it aesthetically. It does nothing notably bad and doesn't have any particular technical design flaws, but, in the end, it's just sort of there.

Interesting comment. BTW I just checked the forum and saw that last time this was on MOTW, DavidM actually showed up!

IMO, this is still - by the standards of Unreal - a great map, and it actually felt like it was slowly raising the level of the campaign back towards its earlier heights after two maps that - while fine in themselves (if really short and most definitely "just there") - were quite a significant step down after the insane three-map suite that is NP19 - in fact others have said that it would have made more sense to move directly from Wipeout to The Lands of Rostivelt (while keeping the awesome starting cave from Entry to the Fire God Temple, I'll add).

I remember thinking the starting canyon had a cool design, yes (watching the video here, I admit I did not remember the Skaarj fighter and the Skaarj shuttle - the latter is unique to ONP - which make a brief appearance at the beginning of the map... it's cool to see that kind of thing but the campaign has shitloads of moments like that), and the Giant Manta fight was memorable despite being easy. BTW, the music section that plays when the Giant Manta attacks is awesome. I also recall being ambushed by a Skaarj that I mistakenly thought was dead :P that's despite the trick being used more than once in this level. Good fights overall.

Now a confession: of course, looking at the playthrough here it always seems everything is so easy, but man, on my first playthrough of this map I actually thought it was hard... essentially because of the last segment (although I have to say I did die once due to the Skaarj that jump down on you as you move out of the base): you see, back then I didn't realise I could destroy the turret :P I definitely tried, but it didn't blow up with just a few shots so I assumed I had to make it across the lava zone under fire of the turret - making the passage very challenging with several reloads and that Skaarj showing up on the other side just added to my pain and eventually, I made it with literally a couple of hit points :o and I was so nervous that after a quick save on the other side I also had to reload a couple of times due to the Skaarj with rocket launchers in the last big hall.
That sure was memorable, and IMO that makes The Lands of Rostivelt one of the hardest maps in ONP!

There's also one stupid secret area... however the video just showed me there's another pretty legit secret area! :P

Doublez-Down wrote:Really enjoyed the scale and lighting in this map, and I remember it being fairly awe-inspiring at the time. [...] This (and some others from ONP) was one of those maps that made me realize I had SO MUCH to learn as a budding mapper that I just about gave it up - well I suppose I did for a while.

I remember the first time I played ONP very well - a lot of the maps were much better looking than in the original Unreal/UT, and it felt like the engine had seen an upgrade!

Doublez-Down wrote:Wish I had more time to work on anything!

Ditto :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.