UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

1/2/2017 - "Illhaven OldTown" by Kew

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 1/2/2017 - "Illhaven OldTown" by Kew

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017, 04:54

Map Title: Illhaven OldTown
Author: Tim "Kew" Jervis
Filename: illhaven2.unr
Music Files: WarGate.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USaPwmJLp60

Synopsis: A Nali town crawling with Krall.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 1/2/2017 - "Illhaven OldTown" by Kew

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017, 13:01

The first purely stealth-only Unreal map I believe? Really cool.
ImageImage

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017, 21:35

Unreal went Metal Gear Solid in this map. :D
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017, 00:39

This must be from the new Illhaven -- I haven't managed to try that out yet. I don't remember any stealth-only maps in the original, or at least I certainly didn't take that approach in any of the maps :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017, 11:06

Buff Skeleton wrote:This must be from the new Illhaven -- I haven't managed to try that out yet. I don't remember any stealth-only maps in the original, or at least I certainly didn't take that approach in any of the maps :P

Original one, second map. You are hardly equipped and there are Krall all over the place.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017, 11:11

Buff Skeleton wrote:This must be from the new Illhaven -- I haven't managed to try that out yet. I don't remember any stealth-only maps in the original, or at least I certainly didn't take that approach in any of the maps :P

It's been a long time, but I do remember one level (in the original Illhaven pack) which required a sort of stealthy-like approach. AFAIR the patrolling Krall will leave you alone as long as you don't mess with them or come too close (and you don't want to mess with them because IIRC the DP is your only friend and you have a slight disadvantage, meaning you're vastly outnumbered) :wink: .
This map is one of the things which made (make) Illhaven stand out (conceptually).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017, 17:57

A nice idea but the execution has some issues; I forgot if it was fixed in any version, but you generally start this level with everything you had in the last if you play sequentially. Since you're likely already oversupplied from the first map it's not that hard to just shoot your way through and ignore the gimmick entirely. Plus Krall aren't much of a threat so even with the DP you can easily gun through everything outside the horde of elites in the town hall. You basically have to "roleplay" if you want to do it the intended way (or just play it standalone). Played as intended it's fine though, and, like the other maps, the messages odd a lot of flavour to the world. The "stealth" mechanics are pretty simple, and a few Krall seem to instantly spot you anyway if you come into their view, but at least they don't seem to alert others much.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017, 02:45

Semfry wrote:You basically have to "roleplay" if you want to do it the intended way (or just play it standalone). Played as intended it's fine though, and, like the other maps, the messages odd a lot of flavour to the world.

This is Illhaven to a fault. Intriguing world, great locales, but the experience is very rigid and the gameplay doesn't handle the "human element" very well. Though in this level, breaking the Krall gestapo by opting out of the stealth approach doesn't damage the immersion factor as much as some of the later levels. I've said it before, the first level of Illhaven is the campaign's best because it's the most straightforward. This may be the second best since it is still fun even if you can fail the roleplay. Shooting Krall is still shooting Krall.