Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

16/01/2017 - "Map 18: Nali Mountain Fighters" by El Chicoverde and DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 16/01/2017 - "Map 18: Nali Mountain Fighters" by El Chicoverde and DavidM

Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017, 18:53

Map Title: Nali Mountain Fighters
Author: El Chicoverde and DavidM
Filename: NP18Chico.unr
Music Files: Fifth.umx, Mission.umx, Spire.umx, NPIntruder.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwM84z3UD6o

Synopsis: ONP guy makes his way throughout modern Nali ruins invaded by Skaarj, who are hiding in every corner.

Discuss!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 16/01/2017 - "Map 18: Nali Mountain Fighters" by El Chicoverde and DavidM

Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017, 18:54

This might be probably my favorite ONP map and overall the best Unreal/UT one in terms of visuals. Those castle ruins are absolutely fucking amazing, holy shit.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 16/01/2017 - "Map 18: Nali Mountain Fighters" by El Chicoverde and DavidM

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017, 20:07

Chico is the king of the ruins theme.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017, 02:16

One of my favourite ONP maps. It does a great job with the scripting of Skaarj trying to assault the Nali hideout (with some intense encounters as a result), and the trap/puzzle elements mix things up nicely. The final bit with the Titan and boosted Brutes also provides some sort of climax to the segment. It's also one of the better implementations of the ONP's trademark sunlight style, with the contrast between the shade and bright areas combining with the texturing in a way that's quite striking (and probably one of the first levels that come to mind when I think of that being done right).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017, 00:05

HELL YEAH

Sat42 wrote:One of those truly epic moments in Operation Na Pali:

Nali Mountain Fighters (Part 2)!

I remembered posting this and thought I'd share it here: I'm proud of how that screenshot turned out, it shows a set piece that ranks up there with my favourite Unreal/UT set pieces! The first time I played this level, I remember getting here and just as I penetrated the courtyard, the final, frenetic act of NPIntruder.umx kicked in and holy crap here comes a bombing raid literally bringing down part of the citadel (one of the best examples of collapsing geometry done with this engine) while Skaarj troopers fire off their rockets at me and my allies... FUCKIN' AWESOME combination!! NPIntruder.umx really pumps you up during the action in that citadel and to this day that track is among my favourite from the game :)

There is an excellent flow IMO. Quite a hard level the first time round, with traps (I remember getting squashed, ouch!), plenty of Skaarj to fight, and excellent scripted scenes such as that Mercenary bombing raid pictured above. I agree that the final segment provides some sort of climax, and yes the contrast between the dark and bright areas combined with the texturing is striking. Definitely up there with the best visuals found in the Unreal/UT universe.

To tell you the truth, this map isn't actually one of my two favourite levels from Operation Na Pali, but it does come really just behind them!

THIS is the key Nali rebel map.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.