Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

30/01/2017 - "The Valley of Shia'dorle" by Jaunie and Frieza

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 30/01/2017 - "The Valley of Shia'dorle" by Jaunie and Frieza

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017, 21:45

Map Title: The Valley of Shia'dorle
Author: Jaunie Perry and Tim "Frieza" Kok
Filename: usp-05-jaunie-frieza.unr
Music Files: Moroset.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McBHploi2jM

Synopsis: After getting through a Skaarj base you come across another subjugated village.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 30/01/2017 - "The Valley of Shia'dorle" by Jaunie and Frieza

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017, 15:27

I still believe this is the overall weakest level of the mappack. No bosses, re-uses the Vortex Rikers' "behind-the-doors" scripted event and overall there's really nothing amazing in terms of visuals. Just nothing that makes it stand out in any way.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017, 16:54

A decent town map but it feels lacking in anything to really stand out. Everything is serviceable but it's a pretty standard Nali town, with the main church area feeling like it's straight out of Harobed (not sure if the main room is a straight copy, but it's close enough to feel like it), along with the houses. The base section added by Frieza does handle the transition from the previous map well, but the Vortex Rikers-style event being near identical does stick out. The crates that look like they're out of Wolfenstein or something have always stuck out as kind of immersion breaking too, even if they're technically not (I don't think anyway...). The laser fence can lead to some amusing moments but it's not really much of a factor overall.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017, 01:17

Still great classic stuff although yeah the following Shia'dorle maps were more memorable and there's a lot of classic-styled maps in Déjà Vu, so I totally agree with those who say this map doesn't stand out.

Still, apart from the Vortex Rikers-styled scripted sequence which kind of pulls you out (since it's a direct reference really), I'd say the map is immersive enough. Don't know about it being the weakest in the set, but I can't think of another one that would hold that title so fair enough.

Funny how one of the moons became so big in this map :p (I must be the only one who pays attention to that sort of detail - it's like when I saw Mars above Na Pali Haven Redux, it came as quite a bit of a shock the first time round ;) )
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.