Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

"The Tower of Shrakith'a" by Geoff Field "Mad Martigan"

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: "The Tower of Shrakith'a" by Geoff Field "Mad Martigan"

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 13:38

Sole project leader: Geoff Field "Mad Martigan"

The Tower of Shrakith'a
Author: Mad Martigan
Released in: September 9th, 1999
Platform: Unreal
Review Score: 90%
DOWNLOAD: http://unrealarchives.com/the-tower-of-shrakitha/

Synopsis: The Tower of Shrakith'a is the masterpiece of classic Unreal mapping. Released in 1999, it is considered as one of the best mappacks ever made for the game (for many, it is still the best one), and predates all the modern campaigns that revolutionized Unreal's custom Single Player mapping in terms of building techs and custom components.
The Tower of Shrakith'a sees an archaeologist accidentally teleported into a dark, medieval world where Nali are overrun by alien devils who reside in a gloomy tower seen in the distance. Featuring an imposing atmosphere, creative set-pieces, the best of medieval-themed locales, fresh gameplay ideas and a memorable ending, Shrakith'a is something such great the Unreal community will never forget.
A sequel was announced years ago but due to Mad Martigan working in the gaming industry, development didn't go anywhere past the teaser shot.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: "The Tower of Shrakith'a" by Geoff Field "Mad Martigan"

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 13:39

90% from 1999.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 17:56

Hard to argue this pack's lasting power with this community. There's so many little things, little nuances, that have aged this one as finely as the mother game itself. That's something uncommon to begin with for Unreal SP and demands respect if you ever made a level for this game. This one set a standard before there were standards to be set.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 20:48

A score well deserved for this classic!

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 21:09

:B I remember trying to jump across the fog in the early part of this set and not be able to do it. I gave up on the pack and then never came back to it until probably a year later. Loved it once I figured out that jump.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 22:12

A shame nothing seemed to come of that sequel announcement a while ago. I wonder if Mad Martigan is still working in the industry because I guess he might at least still be around if so.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 22:46

Semfry wrote:A shame nothing seemed to come of that sequel announcement a while ago. I wonder if Mad Martigan is still working in the industry because I guess he might at least still be around if so.

The announcement was done in the old forums I believe, I wonder if his user data is still around for some email address, can't find anything on the internet. I don't even remember on what studio he was on but it was a devteam under EA or Activision.
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 07:09

I still wonder if a troll was posing as Mad Martigan back then when the announcement of the sequel came along. If I remember correctly, there was only ever one screenshot that could have easily been faked. Then again, I could be wrong...
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 11:54

Lightning Hunter wrote:I still wonder if a troll was posing as Mad Martigan back then when the announcement of the sequel came along. If I remember correctly, there was only ever one screenshot that could have easily been faked. Then again, I could be wrong...

I mean the timing when it was announced was funny because it was immediately after Shinigami 2 was announced (and that also died but the guy was also busy with a dangerous job in Africa??). But I guess focusing on the game industry is a must - from what I remember the company was Infinity Ward?

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:12

When I saw this thread, I was like: "Didnt we have these Maps as MOTW not too long ago?" until I realized that we discussed it almost two years ago the last time! Well, nothing has changed in my viewpoints since then. It is just a well-rounded, perfectly polished map pack with so much innovations, which were almost solely based on using retail content in a different manner, that it still stands its time today. What did change, though, is how many people replied to this thread so far. Two years ago, there were 2-3 posts in the single maps each, now we have already surpassed that number. I am glad the forums are a bit more lively now (probably thanks to JazzyB ;) ).
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017, 14:00

UBerserker wrote:The announcement was done in the old forums I believe, I wonder if his user data is still around for some email address, can't find anything on the internet. I don't even remember on what studio he was on but it was a devteam under EA or Activision.

I guess it can't be done.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017, 12:08

Classic MOTW to comeback next week.
ImageImage