Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

9/23/2017 "Cellars of E'Nara" by Lightning Hunter, Naveed and Hellscrag

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 9/23/2017 "Cellars of E'Nara" by Lightning Hunter, Naveed and Hellscrag

Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017, 08:42

Map Title: Cellars of E'Nara
Author: Lightning Hunter, Naveed and Hellscrag
From: http://www.unrealsp.org/legacy/community/reviews/dejavu2.html
Filename: USP-03-Nveed-LH.unr
Music Files: digsh.umx, Newmca7.umx, null.umx

Video Playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qS-pHxSfE

Synopsis: Going through a cellar infested with Krall sounds like fun.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Sat42

Subject: Re: 9/23/2017 "Cellars of E'Nara" by Lightning Hunter, Naveed and Hellscrag

Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017, 16:32

-My original comments from the previous time this was MOTW-

Naveed's original map was clearly unfinished: the starting corridor had no door behind you, the ending tunnel had no door in front of you, the lighting was less moody, the scenery was less detailed (mind you there is fog in the tunnels, the only part of the original map that has some decent atmosphere), less sounds, less translator messages, no scripted sequence... and of course a good three quarters of the final version of the map is simply missing!
The story of the Krall rebellion was told in a merely passive way (some translator messages and some dead bodies to convey the point).
Simply put: it was unfinished, a placeholder at best.

Then Lightning Hunter picked it up and the result is a map that is really memorable thanks to its gameplay (what a surprise, everyone says the same!) and yes, story implementation. In the first main area, you can come across some interesting messages related to the dawn of the Krall rebellion; I actually laughed at the irony contained in the fact that the Skaarj Captain had been reading about how to stay alert to prevent revolts and still managed to get killed in his sleep! Talk about being on your guard! :P
Then the crazy succession of scripted sequences begins! That got me tense - and on my first playthrough, I felt this was the first quite hard level of the pack - and it was scary! Especially that passage in the foggy cave where flies start to swarm you and then, just as you try to escape, a horrible cry bellows and WTF a blue Slith miniboss!! I didn't have to reload, but it was close :o
After something like that, and the constant quakes and pieces of geometry falling apart (lol at the Krall falling through the ground to his death!), I could never feel confident within these cellars - especially as more was clearly to come. The Krall boss, Captain Maldrin, was the icing on the cake - he got close to killing me (I was down to something like 20-25 of health or so, but eventually managed to have him stay more or less put round some pillar, allowing me to make the best choice regarding how to finish the fight), but I still made it in one go. After that and getting out of the cellars into that atmospheric cave (which was an addition by Hellscrag to achieve a smooth transition with the next map), I was finally able to relax!
Cellars of E'Nara is of course a great map - they all are in this campaign - and specifically it is the pack's first climax, which makes it stand out, but I wouldn't call it the best level of Déjà Vu - Gryphon Revisited v2.01 - that would be Location Z-14, IMHO (which is awesome, considering the latter is the last level and we all love a good climax).

SteadZ wrote:Fun-fact: Lightning Hunter made the Cave slith sounds by recording his brother making throaty noises and heavily editing them :P

Lots of nice touches here!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Subject: Re: 9/23/2017 "Cellars of E'Nara" by Lightning Hunter, Naveed and Hellscrag

Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017, 21:48

Can't say I've played it.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017, 11:32

The only real SP map I made (along with Naveed and Hellscrag, that is). I never really did consider myself much of a mapper, but I guess this was one of my "best" works as far as original maps are concerned. I still occasionally refer to this map to remember how to set up certain scripted events, since this map pretty much has it all. I didn't spend as much time on the architecture as I did the scripted events and game play.

I always did intend to create more SP maps from scratch, but decided my time would be better spent working on such projects as RTNP:UE, UnrealHD, and now a fixed up RyS. There are plenty of good mappers around, after all.

Bombadilian wrote:Can't say I've played it.

You haven't played Deja Vu? :shock:
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017, 12:36

Yeah this is one of the better DV2 maps, I think it wasn't in the original and that's why it is seen as one of the major points of the re-release. It's just really fun to play, which is its everlasting feature, and the fact there are two bosses (the Krall having the best skin ever based on the final Unreal version).
ImageImage

User avatar Jigoku

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017, 01:19

I've never played Deja Vu either... Maybe I should, along with the other 4,000 mappacks out there.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017, 17:57

I need to play this mappack again
M'nali

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017, 19:00

My comments from last time:

"A level with relatively simple architecture and general design that manages to be one of the most memorable maps in Deja Vu due to the use of scripted sequences, some unique challenges (like the boss fights) and the story implementation. The final version expanded on the very short DV 1.0 version well and added a lot to the theme. The fights in between the set-pieces ones aren't especially challenging, but that also fits the style and it is only the third map in the set."
Formerly Mman