Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

29/01/2018 - MUSIC Discussion Thread

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 29/01/2018 - MUSIC Discussion Thread

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018, 23:35

The premise is the same as this thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4294

However, the topic here will be exclusively about Unreal music, custom Unreal music, umx/mp3 file usage, when music best fits, and so on.
An example of discussion for example is why NPresurect.umx is so good, and why has it been used for like 1 minute of ONP? Or G59's Rise Against Myself being so spot on, etc...

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: 29/01/2018 - MUSIC Discussion Thread

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018, 21:01

This reminds me, JazzyB or someone else needs to fix the mono soundtrack in his campaign.
M'nali

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018, 23:01

Diego96 wrote:This reminds me, JazzyB or someone else needs to fix the mono soundtrack in his campaign.

I was just thinking the same thing. I don’t know why it’s one channel only.
Maybe it’s something to do with my limited knowledge of Tracker or galaxy?

I believe someone mentioned Rmusic player (spelling maybe incorrect here) as a solution that plays MP3s. I’ll have to look into it at a later date.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018, 00:36

jazz wrote:
Diego96 wrote:This reminds me, JazzyB or someone else needs to fix the mono soundtrack in his campaign.

I was just thinking the same thing. I don’t know why it’s one channel only.
Maybe it’s something to do with my limited knowledge of Tracker or galaxy?

I believe someone mentioned Rmusic player (spelling maybe incorrect here) as a solution that plays MP3s. I’ll have to look into it at a later date.

It was Editor Dave.
http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4195
M'nali

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018, 00:40

Jazz, EXU2 (BI and G59) makes use of the RMusic_Player, which can use mp3 and ogg files. It has a feature where you can set the song to begin or stop immediately or with a fade-in/out.
ImageImage

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018, 01:22

Nice, I'll check it out.

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018, 10:18

As much as I enjoy original Unreal soundtrack, I don't like "Extreme End" ambient part looping into the "action" section. It sounds weird once you make your way down the shaft leading to The Source. I just slightly edited EndEx.umx so ambient section fades out and thus level music remains silent until the very last moment.

Here's link for the modified module: http://www.mediafire.com/file/11x9e8il3 ... odified.it

And what's the deal with third, unused section in "Hub 7"? Was it supposed to be game over theme like in Deus Ex?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018, 11:33

Preki wrote:And what's the deal with third, unused section in "Hub 7"? Was it supposed to be game over theme like in Deus Ex?

Aside it being Metroid as fuck, it sounded like it was supposed to fit the scrapped Pyramid Crypt levels.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 15:27

The use of NPresurect.umx is a mystery... I believe Toxeen was really on a roll during ONP's development, and it's possible his production exceeded the amount of new tracks that had been requested and/or some of his later tracks came at the tail end of the campaign's development cycle.
Boris "Toxeen" Nonte is likely my favourite composer to originate from the community. He really nailed Unreal's music style and I wish there were even more tracks like that.

EDIT: just found this bit of trivia on the UnrealSP Wiki:
"Resurrection" was originally a track composed for a Death Match map of the same name, but Toxeen decided to re-use it for Operation: Na Pali.

Music is such a huge part of the Unreal/UT experience, to the point that it is an integral part of the identity of these games (obviously in a similar way to how it is for Deus Ex).

@UB: I am waiting for the full release of G59 before going back to it, so I can't speak for "Rise Against Myself" but I remember Cybernetika's tracks giving both Batshit Insane and G59 a distinct audio identity to the EXU2 experience (an experience that is, for lack of a better term, "hardcore").

All hail Nali Chronicles' tracks too!!

I will say this though: Deus Ex really implemented what is to my mind the best way to handle music in games like this: dynamically shifting from one track to another depending on the action on-screen (to the point of having game over themes, yes), and having these situational tracks be different from one level/mission to another. I understand why this would be superfluous in UT but Unreal (although admittedly it is not so important either as it is not as complex a game - not an FPS/RPG/stealth hybrid with C&C) or certainly SP mods would benefit from the option to have that kind of thing.
Sure you can use triggers, but it's never going to be as elegant/flexible.

Funny thing: some tracks which originated in Unreal subsequently became associated in my mind to not only official levels but also community one's, e.g.: in One Day (in the Nali town), or Legacy (Nexus), Illhaven Saga (the Queen-related theme), Last Escape from Na Pali (OK that would be a beta track towards the end I believe), even stuff like Zero Black and Zora's Episodes holy crap ... there's so many audio memories from so many mappacks and not just the famous ones (UMS Solaris too).

By the way: Panic 2 had some of the most peculiar tracks ever (original ones obviously) - at least one was frankly bad IMO, but there was some weird stuff that sometimes managed to be good (the one playing on the dance floor with the dancing robots was good and actually not weird) and/or hilarious (the elevator track in the last level comes to mind).

I sometimes wonder whether Zynthetic, or Sonaeris will come back to provide us with even more music :D (I am currently listening the latter's track "Quies" for the unreleased Firestorm).

Also another thanks to Lightning Hunter for creating a thread sharing his findings music-wise for use in SP maps!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 15:33

Sat42 wrote:@UB: I am waiting for the full release of G59 before going back to it,

Play what's out. There is a reason why I'm doing partial releases so people can play the maps earlier instead of waiting for the whole complete thing which I don't know when it'll be fully done. The already released maps won't be modified further except minor gameplay balance edits.

I remember Nali Chronicles music to be really good, especially the tracks played near the end of the pack (Nyleve and the ambient theme for the Nali hideout before it).

February's MOTW theme (maps for all four weeks this time) will be about unusual classic-style choices.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 19:22

UBerserker wrote:
Sat42 wrote:@UB: I am waiting for the full release of G59 before going back to it,

Play what's out. There is a reason why I'm doing partial releases so people can play the maps earlier instead of waiting for the whole complete thing which I don't know when it'll be fully done. The already released maps won't be modified further except minor gameplay balance edits.

I remember Nali Chronicles music to be really good, especially the tracks played near the end of the pack (Nyleve and the ambient theme for the Nali hideout before it).

February's MOTW theme (maps for all four weeks this time) will be about unusual classic-style choices.

Gotcha man - OK then I will be playing fairly soon then (and will make comments on the levels like last time, should be interesting to compare especially since I haven't been following all the incremental developments).

Looking forward to February's MOTW theme!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 20:28

Various packs have some great custom music that either used very little or not at all. As mentioned ONP has a couple that are good but barely used. I think Nali Chronicles has a couple of unused or basically unused tracks that are good too. Kind of unfortunate some of those never got a proper use.

NPresurect is a weird one because it fits the level it's in just fine, but then it cuts away at the start for no reason and the level becomes a mess of different tracks. I actually made a slightly edited version in the past that makes NPresurect play for the whole thing (outside of one or two parts where the music shift fits) and it works so much better.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 21:24

Oh yeah there's this - AGES AGO before I played 7Bullets, I took a look at its music files beforehand. There was this very RE-themed song with glitchy sounds and with crunchy vocal samples that spelled out some unintelligible sentence, not sure what the fuck was that. Either way I thought it was going to be used in the pack and specifically I thought it was supposed to be an ugly ass monster in a map to say those vocal samples. I believe that track wasn't even used in 7B.

Also Darklord.umx; thought at first it was for Xidia's Darklord, instead it was for SO second fight.
ImageImage

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018, 01:58

In my case it's fair to say that the music by people like Toxeen and Ole have had a bigger impact on me perhaps than the original soundtrack ever did, and have had as much influence on my composing style as James Horner and Hans Zimmer etc.

Green Seas has such a simple, yet such a moving chord sequence...

These days Toxeen writes trailer music for films I believe, and Ole (as I mentioned in another thread) wants to get back into writing music - which I really hope he does.

UBerserker wrote:Oh yeah there's this - AGES AGO before I played 7Bullets, I took a look at its music files beforehand. There was this very RE-themed song with glitchy sounds and with crunchy vocal samples that spelled out some unintelligible sentence, not sure what the fuck was that. Either way I thought it was going to be used in the pack and specifically I thought it was supposed to be an ugly ass monster in a map to say those vocal samples. I believe that track wasn't even used in 7B.

That'll be because the music by Darkbeat was originally composed for "Resident Unreal". :P

SZ

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018, 16:47

Holy shit Toxeen has gone places.
Makes me wonder if eVOLVE also had the same luck in the voice acting category.
ImageImage