Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

02/04/2018 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 02/04/2018 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018, 22:24

Map Title: The Triamid Ruins
Author: Turboman
Filename: tridigmap.unr
Music Files: Chizra1.umx, EndEx.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHT5i6gnzR8

Synopsis: As an archaeologist, you're assigned to explore three pyramid-shaped ruins in the middle of the ocean of an unknown moon. However, the team you were going to meet up has vanished. Are you ready to take the journey through this mysterious land?

Discuss!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 02/04/2018 - "The Triamid Ruins" by Turboman

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018, 22:24

You can also see this as another thread to vent your frustrations why Firestorm is not released lol
ImageImage

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018, 15:14

Actually I'd rather play this map and write something about it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018, 15:26

FYI this month's entries will be the final ones for now for MOTW, saving the best of the best from the latest releases for the end; from next month there will be some sort of replacement like those monthly threads done last year (I don't have a plan at the moment).
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018, 14:29

This one's actually come up a couple of times before, so my old comments still work:

Insanely good looking map with massive amounts of detail and variety despite most areas managing to be relatively conservative poly-count wise. I like how the texture themes shift throughout while all fitting the theme, especially the orange/yellow DecayedS (I think) textures underground that I haven't seen used like this anywhere else. It has also got a ton of good exploration, and really makes you think about how the space comes together at times. I think the combat could be a bit more intense though; I don't want the level to become remotely combat focused, but I think spread out yet much more dangerous encounters would fit better than the pest slaughter it currently is. As it is the amount of guns you get feels like overkill.
► Show Spoiler
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018, 23:10

In this case I even avoid looking at the screenshots to prevent spoilers. This is one I wish to savour in good conditions. Unfortunately, I didn't have time this week-end and so my comments on this one will have to be for another time...
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018, 21:52

I think this map is what Skaarj Tower couldve been. Vast areas free to explore with exceptionally creative visuals, a cool fast travel system (though, it didnt always work so perfectly...). There is little focus on fighting which still doesnt make the experience too dull. Maybe one or two (more) surprise attacks wouldnt have hurt. As it is, it is probably still the best example for conceptional grandness imo, at least tied with the Last Fortress. Speaking of that, I guess that one will be finisher for what UB had in mind with MOTW lately. :D
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018, 21:59

First of all - I love the sky and sense of scale this map has right off the bat. I didn't make it into later parts of it though (little to no free time, it happens), but I will play it some more.