Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

16/04/2018 - "Core Issue" by JazzyB

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 16/04/2018 - "Core Issue" by JazzyB

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018, 21:34

Map Title: Core Issue
Author: Jarrod "JazzyB" Burgess
Filename: ONP-map24CoreX.unr
Music Files: Xstaging.umx, YATHNA.umx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZvalkMu1Os

Synopsis: You have reached the last stage of this gigantic, underground Skaarj structure. Destroy the power core and kill their leader!

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: 16/04/2018 - "Core Issue" by JazzyB

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018, 07:39

Wahdaheo, I haven't played diis

Krull0r
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018, 20:12

This one looks stunning! wow

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 10:28

Anreel wrote:Wahdaheo, I haven't played diis

You'd better. The best Skaarj themed map and surely one of the best maps made in Unreal Engine 1. This easily surpasses Mothership levels form the vanilla game.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 16:51

Preki wrote:
Anreel wrote:Wahdaheo, I haven't played diis

You'd better. The best Skaarj themed map and surely one of the best maps made in Unreal Engine 1. This easily surpasses Mothership levels form the vanilla game.

That's some massive praise right there! Same as with The Triamid Ruins, I haven't played this yet so will bugger off avoiding all spoilers incl. screenshots ;)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018, 13:55

Huge scale, tons of moving parts, detail and variety everywhere. In any other set this would be a jaw-dropping centrepiece map, in Xenome it's practically normal at this point. While more linear than some of the earlier levels, it's still got quite a bit going on outside the combat for most of it's duration, but it ramps up to the finale well (and is still good at keeping you stocked up despite throwing a lot at you. The timed shieldbelt secret is also quite challenging). The final generator setting provides some nice encounters, although the final Warlord is sort of a letdown at this point (though it does depend a little on how much you get rid of all the balcony enemies sniping at you). Like several sections of Xenome, the final area also shows some Half-Life inspiration with the generator climb and ending mirroring HL2's climax to some degree. A great final map, although the final boss could have maybe had a little more to it.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 13:15

There might be better campaigns in terms of story/gameplay/concepts but Xenome overall as package is the best and very likely will remain the best. Only TCO (if it ever sees release at least) might put a dent in it but Xenome is strong enough by itself with all just pure good mapping only, by one single mapper. It's the successful exception in the mid of many failed projects.

Also I believe the reason why I had massive issues with the blue lasers area is because I played with slomo 1.15, that might have fucked up the events.
ImageImage