Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

04/06/2018 - "Escape from Na Pali" by Nivlek

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 04/06/2018 - "Escape from Na Pali" by Nivlek

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 19:26

Map Title: Escape from Na Pali
Author: Nivlek
Filename: nalic2.unr
Music Files: Mountain.umx, EndEx.umx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEhHeCR_B_8

Synopsis: Prisoner 849 takes a Skaarj teleport pod found on Gala's Peak, and gets seemingly teleported into a random Nali fort isolated from any location, stuck in the middle of the mountains. Luckily for P849, this place houses a shuttle - a way for him to escape the planet once for all.

Discuss!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 04/06/2018 - "Escape from Na Pali" by Nivlek

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018, 16:48

"Generic" is the word that comes to mind for this map, which is unfortunate for the finale of the whole expansion. It's got nothing particularly wrong (if you take it for what it is, rather than anything it could be) but nothing of note either, it's pretty linear in structure despite some interesting views outside, and the combat doesn't have much notable going on, plus the end boss being a Warlord in an arena that obviously wasn't made for it doesn't help. That it's name and place as the flyby map makes is obvious it's an attempt to homage one of Unreal's most iconic maps does it no favours either.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018, 17:03

I w4s hear

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018, 00:18

Unfortunately an ending map which didn't live up to expectation (or even the hype) of an Unreal continuation/sequel.
IN agreement with Semfry, there nothing particularly wrong with the map (certainly not seriously wrong) but combat isn't particularly difficult nor innovative (on first playthrough however I struggled with the Warlord).
Visually the map is pleasing, there is a sense of grandeur but it's (almost painfully) linear and has only a poor attempt of a puzzle/secret area.

Basically I'm just repeating what Semfry wrote and that 's probably due to TLF (The Last Fortress) which made me think about maps in funcion of what they should radiate, and this final map just doesn't climax.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018, 12:32

Well did I say this map was offgrid multiple times? Turns out I personally fucked up when I ported it for G59. Sorry about that!

I still heavily despise this level. On top of being some of the most awful last levels I've ever seen in gaming, it has bland lighting (some actors are off place), no sense of place / bad layout and most of the castle itself is ONE. SINGLE. BRUSH. What a fucking pain in the ass dealing with this; I think it was one of the kickers for me to start doing proper geometry because RTNP maps deserved better. Nivlek's levels are nice but have overall questionable build stability to them (Neve is also a huge mess).
I may be happy enough RTNP exists because it has been useful to me but on the other hand I wish Epic finished their own expansions and we got that, instead of this distinctly mediocre mappack.
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018, 13:49

During my first playthrough, I loved RTNP more than the original because it was more straightforward. Especially the last few maps were super linear and something nice to look at. Now my tastes have changed insofar my opinion on this maps aligns with yours. While I wouldn't deem it as bad, it's a classic example of a awkwardly forced ending and a wannabe throwback.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018, 22:50

Copy-pasting myself from last time (sorry I can't manage anything more creative right now):
Sat42 wrote:It's a great level in itself, IMO. Yes, there were memorable aspects to it, and in terms of gameplay it works although the boss battle really should have been better, especially as it is in fact worse than the previous Warlord encounters. Overall, short and average in terms of difficulty (less than an hour of game time and only threatened with a mandatory reload a couple of times on my first playthrough).

But yeah, in the context of its obvious goals...
The ending was only made OK thanks to the cinematic (which was really cool back then, even though again, it doesn't match Unreal's ending cutscene in terms of quality and emotional impact).

Hellscrag wrote:Meh...

It should have been the Marines.

Indeed :o
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018, 17:49

I think maybe subconsciously too this map may be a bitter pill simply for being the last time we "officially" saw Na Pali in a singleplayer game titled Unreal.

Having said that years later I have to admit that I don't actually dislike the level, really. Just feels strange for a "last level" location and the final battle is a bit of an oddball encounter.