Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

23/06/2008 - "The Temple of Zakaran" by Flunders

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 23/06/2008 - "The Temple of Zakaran" by Flunders

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 00:09

Map Title: The Temple of Zakaran
Author: Jeff "Flunders" Smyth
Filename: nclevel018.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/orhtej2/vide ... videogames

ImageImage

Synopsis: You left the Prophet's Castle and destroyed it completly. The teleporter took you back on the surface, into some kind of deserted mine. Find your way to the nearest Nali village, there's still some work to do left. Your way leads through an ancient temple of Zakaran.

Discuss!
Last edited by Jethro on 27 Jun 2008, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 00:11

I've never made it this far through the game, but this map looks impressive. I really must try again some time.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 13:29

I remember perfectly this map. This is the one with the lowest number of Mana regeneration areas, given how much plants and water you find here.

Which is a good thing, otherwise you'll be invulnerable always in NC. A hard level was needed, and this is one.
There are enemies like Skaarj, Flies, Tentacles, lots of Slith and Gasbags, killing water (see the second screenshot) and (on the dock near the boat you see in the same screen) a Titan. Unfortunately for him there's an opening in ceiling (and you can see it in the same cave screenshot) and you can become Invisible and cast a Raging Sky spell for a one-hit kill.

Still talking about the cave, there's a design flaw: one of the rocky platform has some potions, but you can't return back anymore since the other platforms are too distant from the one you're on. Plus killing water.

Build-wise this is the best map in NC, on par with the desert island containing Gasbags (I don't remember its name) and the whole MoonSpire section.

Nothing else anyway, my weapons still had max ammo after the end of this map.
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 18:06

UBerserker wrote:I remember perfectly this map. This is the one with the lowest number of Mana regeneration areas, given how much plants and water you find here.

That was getting annoying. First I discovered that my new spells gained in Prophets Palace are indeed overkills, but not against pests (ever tried fight Pupaes with Divine Bolt?). Then I discovered that my new overkill spells consume LOTS of mana and (IIRC), there's ONE mana regeneration spot on the entire map. On the other hand in this part of game I was extremally oversupplied with mana vials/bottles, empty vials/bottles and ingrediens, so it wasn't much trouble.

UBerserker wrote:There are enemies like Skaarj, Flies, Tentacles, lots of Slith and Gasbags, killing water (see the second screenshot) and (on the dock near the boat you see in the same screen) a Titan. Unfortunately for him there's an opening in ceiling (and you can see it in the same cave screenshot) and you can become Invisible and cast a Raging Sky spell for a one-hit kill.

Huh, and to think I used death fruit, lightning bolts and life drain.....

UBerserker wrote:Still talking about the cave, there's a design flaw: one of the rocky platform has some potions, but you can't return back anymore since the other platforms are too distant from the one you're on. Plus killing water.

In fact there's only one vial there. I did jumped there and saved my game only to discover that I'm stuck. BUT, on a second thought I quaffed all my speed potions and managed to jump back (yes, the faster you move the further you jump).

Overally: really good map, very nice architecture. I like the subplot about commander killing his squad, it was intresting, although I still don't understand the ending.
The temple got creepy atmosphere to me, not the place I'd like to visit every day. Those drums in the background....
Got Chriza feel in it. In fact it looked like mines (Rsomething from Unreal :P), DejaVu entry map, Sacred Passage and (somewhat) like Chriza to me (not that it was a copy, it only got atmosphere of those maps in it). Really memorable. :tup:

Side note: Someone here got signature showing a guy with a pickaxe in his back. I always thought (false-rememered) it from 7B, and now I know it was in this map. Quite funny (in some way) combined with translator (not translator, you have log book here :P) message lying nearby. :twisted:
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 19:38

in the 2nd pic i see a ship... is that right? i don't remember how it got there tho, since it's all pretty closed..
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 20:09

Darkon wrote:in the 2nd pic i see a ship... is that right? i don't remember how it got there tho, since it's all pretty closed..

Yep, its the ship, nicely looking one I'd say.
It entered via the opening on the opposite site of this cave.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 21:23

Imo the biggest flaw of the NC mappack was the major difference in build style, some maps were very simplistic whereas others were quite sophisticated, this one is probably one of the prettiest maps in the mappack, atleast the temple part is quite stunning.

I don't know if anyone who played this map noticed it, but i am sure the end part of the map (where you collect the map) copied some parts of a very old mappack i've played before.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 21:44

I don't remember finding the psycho assassin here. I think he dropped in the killing water of the last lake.

Turboman wrote:I don't know if anyone who played this map noticed it, but i am sure the end part of the map (where you collect the map) copied some parts of a very old mappack i've played before.

Even the Prophet Palace and the Skaarj Laboratory had copied parts of a certain Mappack AFAIK.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008, 22:41

was it copied from "Limbo of the Lost"? :P

seriously, i would like to know about that old mappack..... anyone?

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 02:04

Darkon wrote:seriously, i would like to know about that old mappack..... anyone?

afaik the part that is in this map, was from a mappack from www.shock-systems.com (don't click, it has been defunct since 2000), which you probably know from ctf-projectx or as-coldsteel.

the mappack itself must have dissapeared into oblivion though.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 08:47

Anyone have pix to compare?

Flunders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 12:48

The final cave part was made by shock systems which he never released completed. It was when he decided to release all his unfinished work to let the public finish if they felt the need. So i took the cave. I wrote a translator message in the editor around 30x size to give credit :P The level originally ended when you killed the titan and went into the ship but I thought the going to collect the map might add more RPG feeling :P
I had created my own ship but had to use another that was already created by another NC member... mainly to keep the levels somewhat consistent.

PS: I still have all his old unfinished work... can always upload it sometime.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 16:01

Flunders wrote:PS: I still have all his old unfinished work... can always upload it sometime.

Now THAT would be great! :tup: :tup:

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 16:04

Darkon wrote:
Flunders wrote:PS: I still have all his old unfinished work... can always upload it sometime.

By all means, that would be great if you could upload it!
i remember they had afew beta maps, including a sequel to coldsteel and projectx3, lets hope these are preserved :)

Flunders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 16:20

Turboman wrote:
Darkon wrote:

By all means, that would be great if you could upload it!
i remember they had afew beta maps, including a sequel to coldsteel and projectx3, lets hope these are preserved :)

Here you go: Download

Next