UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

23/06/2008 - "The Temple of Zakaran" by Flunders

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, UBerserker, Jigoku, Doublez-Down

Flunders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 16:32

Jethro wrote:I like the subplot about commander killing his squad, it was intresting, although I still don't understand the ending.

Yeah, I was thinking of adding more to it but wasn't sure how to end it :P So I decided just to leave it as it was and let the player decide what he meant by the last message.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:47

Turboman wrote:...i remember they had afew beta maps, including a sequel to coldsteel and projectx3...

coldsteel.. projectx3? what's that?
there's more

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 22:33

An internet connection isn't active on my main computer at the moment and I'm not sure when it will be (hopefully tommorow but maybe not, and if not it may be a while), so if anyone else wants to do a playthrough they are free to try.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 01:37

I think I've run out of excuses to explain why I haven't played the Chronics of Nali yet. I guess I just have to go ahead and download it.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 08:40

Flunders wrote:Yeah, I was thinking of adding more to it but wasn't sure how to end it :P So I decided just to leave it as it was and let the player decide what he meant by the last message.

Well, thats kind of ending, but can't say it's my favourite way of ending plots. Could have been something more, anything. Or at least I'd like to know who decieved him... Well, whatever, still a nice touch.

Mman wrote:An internet connection isn't active on my main computer at the moment and I'm not sure when it will be (hopefully tommorow but maybe not, and if not it may be a while), so if anyone else wants to do a playthrough they are free to try.

Recommend any frame garbber that's freeware (without one minute limitation like free version of FRAPS) and I can do it.

Mister_Prophet wrote:I think I've run out of excuses to explain why I haven't played the Chronics of Nali yet. I guess I just have to go ahead and download it.

What he said! :tup:
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 12:15

The first part of Nali Chronicles featured some ugly architecture and didn't really entice you to go on and complete it, but (having completed it myself) I can say it gets better and better in the second part :o

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 12:23

Jethro wrote:Recommend any frame garbber that's freeware (without one minute limitation like free version of FRAPS) and I can do it.

Try this: http://www.wegame.com/

When I tried it it was a bit weaker than Fraps, but its been a while now so it may have greatly improved, if you haven't used a recorder before just rememeber that resolution is by far the biggest influence on recording framerate.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 12:42

Frieza wrote:The first part of Nali Chronicles featured some ugly architecture and didn't really entice you to go on and complete it, but (having completed it myself) I can say it gets better and better in the second part :o

Can't say that the WHOLE first part was ugly, but yes, some maps could have had better architecture. On the other hand in some cases simple architecture wasn't noticable at all, because they had descent atmosphere. So, even part I is must-play for me.
Mman wrote:Try this: http://www.wegame.com/

I'm afraid it doesn't list Unreal series as supported games, but I'll give it a try when I'll get back home. Thanks for the tip!

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008, 14:05

Some of the outdoor environments can be considered ugly, like the beginning of Cerberus Castle and the map with the swamp and annoying swarm of Flies. This is due to the weird shape of the brushes, overboundance of trees (that look ugly too) and other decoration, plus poor lighting.

Low poly architecture and ugly architecture are two different things.
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008, 14:57

UBerserker wrote:Some of the outdoor environments can be considered ugly, like the beginning of Cerberus Castle and the map with the swamp and annoying swarm of Flies. This is due to the weird shape of the brushes, overboundance of trees (that look ugly too) and other decoration, plus poor lighting.

Perhaps architecture sometimes isn't the best (although I'd say there are realy rare parts when it's below standards) and gameplay is sometimes annoying I would still reccomend this pack for it's unique feel, atmosphere and gameplay. Really worth a go! :tup:
UBerserker wrote:Low poly architecture and ugly architecture are two different things.

Now I see the difference.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 12:52

Flunders wrote:Here you go: Download

Thanks Flunders, thats some really good stuff :tup:

although of that cavern map, i think you should have used the other parts aswell :p

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 13:53

Hopefully the video will be soon.

Like I mentioned in the review, the lack of mana recharge areas in this level is something that I'm not decided on whether it is bad or good, as it changes up the gameplay but makes little sense in the context of the theme. Plus the side-quest ending with the insane guy didn't really work for me (it was apparently supposed to be left to your imagination, but it didn't provide a full enough picture to work).

Other than that it's a solid Temple map (I'll have to wait for the playthrough to see if there's anything I forgot).

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21

Mman wrote:Hopefully the video will be soon.

I hope so. Been encountering MAJOR problems with x264/AviSynth, but now I switched to VirtualDub + XviD so I hope I'll have working movie tonight.
Mman wrote:Like I mentioned in the review, the lack of mana recharge areas in this level is something that I'm not decided on whether it is bad or good, as it changes up the gameplay but makes little sense in the context of the theme.

Well, you're right, amount of nature parts and mystical atmosphere of thw whole place would soit plentifull of (even weak) mana sources well. But it don't have that negative impact on gameplay, with the amount of mana vials/bottles you have at this stage you don't have to use any weapon till the end of game.
Mman wrote:Plus the side-quest ending with the insane guy didn't really work for me (it was apparently supposed to be left to your imagination, but it didn't provide a full enough picture to work).

What he said - a nice touch, but could have been better if it had a proper ending.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 18:39

Double post :/

Video up and running, sorry for the choppy sound, got some volume issues. Hope you'll enjoy it!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 19:01

Beautiful level.. great work!! (thanks for the vid, Jethro!) :tup: :tup:
there's more

Previous Next