Scout-kun is a lie... right?

30/06/2008 - "Skaarj Mines of Rrajigar" by DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008, 15:38

I just find it a below-average (by ONP standards) map; I find levels like the Merc base far more annoying overall, even if they have a much greater amount of detail. The use of the translocator is pretty cool though.

I recall someone saying some parts felt like a deathmatch map, which is funny because that corridor with the cool door WAS part of a DavidM deathmatch map (I think some of the other corridors are too).

Oh yeah, and default textured bricks :P .

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008, 16:33

Thanks for the vid, MMAN... :tup:

This map is a n00b map, sorry to say. A few things were nice, like the door with the Scare sign on it that opened in a nice way, the water in the mines (floor), but other than that.. can't hardly be more linear. The old level in this level is.. just copied over, so that shouldn't be too hard to make. It's nice to get to a familiar environment, but.. could've been done better IMHO. A huge tower of boxes? :? I guess ONP guy has to get on top of that, huh?
Other than that, this is a nice "l33t translocator" level.. but not more than that. Default textured bricks...? :/

If you like Rrajigar, then it's a good map... If not, then.. well.. then translocate yourself to the exit quickly. :wink:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008, 18:42

It was a decent map, especially the first part. The Rrajigar remake part could have been done a bit better, but overall it's a quite fun map to play. Nothing special, there are way better maps in ONP.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008, 18:44

I just find that the whole middle section of the map seems thematically pointless and without purpose. There is no "sense of place" and the flow of the gameplay is horrid.

I also find the "redux" of the original Rrajigar Mines areas (with some changes to textures) actually makes those areas look less good than the original.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008, 18:57

I don't think there was a redux map in ONP that I particularly cared for. That being said, I did think the inclusion of the translocator was an interesting idea...I just thought its implementation was a bit simple and predictable. The map itself was a pretty good translation of the Rajigar, and being one of the few on here that actually liked those maps from the mother game, I was interested in seeing it. But when I got there, the gameplay just did not keep my pulse up. You basically walk in there and rape house without much resistance.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008, 19:40

At least I had more fun here than the crappy section between level 2 to the 25th one.

The UTTech here didn't bother me since it was used in one room, and not in a bad way. The Rrajigar redux was more atmospheric than the original one.
ImageImage

Previous