Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

28/07/2008 - "The Prophet's Palace" by Eater

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 28/07/2008 - "The Prophet's Palace" by Eater

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 21:26

Map Title: The Prophet's Palace
Author: Sergey 'Eater' Levin
Filename: nclevel017.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/10543536

ImageImage

Synopsis: After days of journey young Nali mage finally reaches his destination - The Prophet's Palace, burried deep underground. You must recover plans of energy channeling device. But watch your step, this place is falling apart and fire-breathing snake infestation doesn't make your quest any easier. Also, Skaarj somethow managed to break the magical protectionof this place. Stay sharp!

Discuss!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 21:31

was done pretty cool.. had some n00b touches to it for some reason, but it was memorable! :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008, 22:58

There's a problem with this map: it tends to be a last-level kind of one, and weirdly, my enjoyment for the pack decreased for no reason, since the next map is another one of those generic Ancient ones and are rather annoying.

Anyway, the map had some cool concept, like the whole palace being inside an enormous cavern. I liked its "skybox".

The gameplay is somewhat flawed. Brute creatures found in cramped areas, fire Slith having too much health (they don't look strong at all) and many predictable Skaarj ambushes.
All of them are easily defeated with that broken holy spell or the top-tier elemental spells. Plus you have tons of shields and the Invisibility.
Puny enemies being crushed by an overpowered Nali.

Some of the chambers of the palace look way too identical and low-poly, and the main area (seen in the first screenshot) has some FPS problems, probably due to the lighting.

The most awesome thing was the Prophet's room and its scripted events. Yeah the Call Nali spell is used again :o
Result: another overpowered weapon - when you mix it with the Holy Bird spell.

The whole destruction of the place in the cutscene was memorable.
Pwned by a Heat Wave!
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008, 00:40

UBerserker wrote:There's a problem with this map: it tends to be a last-level kind of one, and weirdly, my enjoyment for the pack decreased for no reason, since the next map is another one of those generic Ancient ones and are rather annoying.

Well, can't say I didn't liked the next map, but this one was somewhat disappointing. I expected much more from the place you hear along your journey so much.
UBerserker wrote:Anyway, the map had some cool concept, like the whole palace being inside an enormous cavern. I liked its "skybox".

I didn't realized it was a skybox before doing this MOTW but hey, it looks really good!
UBerserker wrote:The gameplay is somewhat flawed. Brute creatures found in cramped areas, fire Slith having too much health (they don't look strong at all)

Yeah, Brutes (especially as they appeared out of nowhere and, to be honest I always thought of them as of guards rather than assault force) were pretty annoying. And those damn fire Sliths so powerfull... they should have been suspectable to water IMO, otherwise they're way too powerfull.
UBerserker wrote:and many predictable Skaarj ambushes.

Those were quite annoying for me. Because the game is so spellcasting-orientated and I always prefer to conserve mana (by switching to the powerfull spells only when needed) it was quite learn-by-dying in many cases as I was ambushed by Skaarj Lords in tight corridors with weak spell selected.
UBerserker wrote:Some of the chambers of the palace look way too identical and low-poly, and the main area (seen in the first screenshot) has some FPS problems, probably due to the lighting.

Well yeah, architecture didn't worked for me here, and first area was broken even on my new PC. Fortunately not much combat there.
UBerserker wrote:Result: another overpowered weapon - when you mix it with the Holy Bird spell.

MMAN once spotted that (strange) Unreal pawns ignore spell projectiles (they don't even try to dodge them), but they perfectly well dodge spells shot from Prophet's staff. Most probably spell system was flawed (pawns SHOULD dodge spells), but it would make the game so damn hard...

Overally: below expectations, especially as it's something I'd call the climax (storyline-wise) of the pack.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008, 14:29

I always tried to save up the mana..
Bird spell?
I think I've missed a lot of spells actually.. :lol:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008, 14:32

Darkon wrote:Bird spell?

It's a holy-type spell for the Prophet's staff. Gives to it the ability of shooting those Holy Light beams (like the other Holy spell), although the enemies dodge these ones.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008, 15:09

I had to level skip in the playthrough, as it seems like you can't spawn HolyTalk.

Standard Eater fare for NC; relatively below average detailing, but lots of non-linearity, interesting ideas, background story and scripted sequences, so I mean that in a good way overall. The skybox is an especially cool idea. The use of dusk for the music doesn't fit at all though. Also, while the level is layed out well enough that it's very hard to get stuck unless you don't pay attention at all, one of two of the things you do didn't seem to have an explanation for why you do them (namely turning on that "generator" thing). Also, more could have been made of that weird alternative reality place.

The ending cutscene is pretty cool.

Jethro wrote:but it would make the game so damn hard...

Fixing dodging would give the challenge boost the pack needs, considering the game becomes pretty broken as soon as you get shadow armour, and even without it there are so many powerful armour spells you are godlike anyway. Actually, replaying it recently, I think I may have overrated the gameplay balance a little in my review, considering how broken it gets (although it's still fun).

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 20:17

Darkon wrote:Bird spell?

It was lying right next to the prophets staff. Don't tell me you used most overkill weapon in the mod as a melee?... :P :lol: :tup:
Mman wrote:Also, while the level is layed out well enough that it's very hard to get stuck unless you don't pay attention at all

Well, I DID payed attention and I did got stuck. It's not THAT easy to find the proper book, especially when you don't know what you're looking for.
Mman wrote:Fixing dodging would give the challenge boost the pack needs, considering the game becomes pretty broken as soon as you get shadow armour, and even without it there are so many powerful armour spells you are godlike anyway.

So don't use shadow armour (and chainmail, it repells all the projectiles)?
For the normal (non-Warlords and non-Titans) enemies I'd say that still weapons like Flak Cannon and Eightball deal damage faster - spells might be powerfull but they take considerable amount of time to charge up, and if you miss - you're dead meat (remember Moonspire's top?).
But well, perhaps you're right, they should dodge the spells....... that would force me to use the guns more.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008, 01:54

Jethro wrote:
Mman wrote:Also, while the level is layed out well enough that it's very hard to get stuck unless you don't pay attention at all

Well, I DID payed attention and I did got stuck. It's not THAT easy to find the proper book, especially when you don't know what you're looking for.

The game says that the book is in the library; it might take a little searching but there are only two relatively small rooms to search

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008, 15:51

Cool map IMO, some of the lighting too bright-ish otherwise one can't ask for more.Has all the mods, cool idea with the lava outside, good level.
score 8.2
Just ban everyone