Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

04/08/2008 - "Gore Mine Crossing" by Heiko

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 19:57

Hellscrag wrote:The low score in the critique relates primarily to the ugly lighting (not just at the top) and general glitchiness of the map (flickering polygons and collision errors etc). Also relative to some of the surrounding maps this one does appear dated. The critique wasn't really intended to consist of finely balanced schema scores; it was more instinctive than that.

Pretty much my same feelings, although you have been more generous than me :P
Even the lower parts of the mountains suffered from a bad use of shadows.

By looking at the video, I actually never knew about that invisible ledge to the first secret, so I did always the hard work of jumping from a distant edge. Either way, it's still dumb design.
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 19:59

I think I've already passed this point in ONP (currently playing it, first time too, and stuck as well) but the map overall didn't make much of an impression on me, it certainly isn't as good as say NyLeve's Falls or RTNP's Edge of Na Pali which did this theme far better and didn't feel as linear and boxed in as this level.

ONP's usual drab outdoor texture set doesn't help either, especialy eslewhere in ONP on levels such as NyLeve, which just helps to show how crappy they really are. Oh and by the way what is up with ONP's outdoor lighting? Is it just me or is Na Pali in ONP in perpetual sunset? I can't seem to recall a single map that has been shown over the years that has had normal daylight.
StalwartUK

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 20:58

StalwartUK wrote:Oh and by the way what is up with ONP's outdoor lighting? Is it just me or is Na Pali in ONP in perpetual sunset? I can't seem to recall a single map that has been shown over the years that has had normal daylight.

It's not in perpetual sunset, but DavidM was keen to have distinct sunshine and shade in each of the maps... which, given how much of ONP takes place outdoors (always with the same texture set), does get a bit repetitive. The actual sequence is dawn, noon (around Chico's Nali Mountain Fighters maps, in which the sunlight is a harsher, brighter yellow), evening, night.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 21:47

Regarding the response to the ONP terrain textures and lighting I assume that people wouldn't be keen on seeing another map pack with similar outdoor design? :B
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 22:11

Thanks for the playthrough video MMAN!

The map is pretty much as I remembered it, mostly slaughtering Brutes. Lighting IS strange, but not as bad (it's far beyond this point when I realized that outdoor lighting is a bit repeatitive). As a downside I can bring up general flawed gameplay - you're oversupplied here with ammo, no real challenge as you can use any weapon you want.

Not a bad map though!
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

DavidM
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 22:19

Great, I accidentally typed ; instead of M when I registered my name! :P

Anyway....
The problem with the lighting back then was that they had a maximum radius of 255, while today you can have unlimited.
So in this huge area it was a really cripplish task to get everything lit....lots of huge lights scattered around, and the engine sometimes handles the light really strange on huge surfaces....which results in lots of rebuilding that takes forever. Was a pain in the ass.
We developed a very nice lighthing procedure for outdoors, but this one was too huge to use it properly.

The Uber-Speedrun is very easy.
On the highest plateau, when you go around the corner and see the spacecraft landing, hurry there, dodge etc, and jump on it.....it will carry you all acros the level and you just have to walk a bit over the surrounding big wall.

As for jumping on the craft, it's a bit huger than it looks like (gg engine making crap :P)

♥♥
David

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 22:37

Whoa, don't beat me please, but we got living legend around here ;) Nice to see you David!

As for technical details - I hope you convinced all those disappointed with lighting. Also, I always like when author/comapper comment their own maps (except maybe when they talk about glorious spiders from Supreme Commander :P).

One more thing I forgot about the map: music = teh win! \o/

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 22:43

Nice to see one of the original ONP mappers (team lead) here. :tup:
As for your name.. Scrag can fix that.. if you will post more than once.. (I didn't even think you would come here, since you left U/UT behind)

As for Sana: If you can make outdoors like this.. then that is welcome. Since it's not gonna be repetitive like ONP, it should be fine. :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 22:44

For some reason I remember the demo version of this map having more brown in it. Crab grass or dirt, can't really recall. Am I wrong about this?

Sup David.

DavidM

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 23:00

At first we were still using these hardly acceptable Unreal Rock textures, that are also impossible to light....so heavy colors. We also had totally flat lighting then. There was a lot happening from the demo to the final. Learned a lot about lighting, and how important textures are for it.

Man, this stuff is so old. Just looking through the videos of the other maps we made back then. I enjoy how the maps are selected as map of the week and then all explain why it's crap :D

(Oh and that voice....my god. Today the character would STFU! :D)

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 23:14

David; wrote:I enjoy how the maps are selected as map of the week and then all explain why it's crap :D

Dunno if you're joking, but I disagree :P
The point of MOTW is not about saying that map is just a piece of old junk. It's about sharing your thoughts about the map - sure everyone got their own opinion, sometimes most people didn't find certain map interesting or they say it failed in certain way, but hey, if I don't like the map I don't play it, so if I have some thoughts about it - it couldn't be that bad, and I try to bring up it's good sides too!
David; wrote:(Oh and that voice....my god. Today the character would STFU! :D)

The overall problem with ONP guy is that his lines does not always fit. I like some of his comments, while I don't like when he say obvious thing or the things that the player should say himself (What the f*** was that?!). But his Serious Samish style is sometimes funny :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 23:51

DavidM wrote:(Oh and that voice....my god. Today the character would STFU! :D)

Well, they say hindsight is 20/20. "ONP Guy" as we now know him has, for his sins, given us a great deal of cause for hilarity over the years. :)

DavidM

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 23:53

Yeah, that's the point.
AND some things got over the wrong way. In level 1 (still luv that :D) the lines were supposed to be an obvious duke nukem copy, but people didn't get it was supposed to be obvious and thought we were just stealing and being boring. Anyway, he shouldnt definetely stfu! :P
Nice to see you made up a name for the guy and everybody seems to know him :D

I still like the whole ONP package because it's a nice journey over a huge distance, through lots of different environments and all.....dunno :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 23:56

2muchlego.

I want my StrangeWorld 2! :B
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 23:56

DavidM wrote:Nice to see you made up a name for the guy and everybody seems to know him :D

He is a legend. My favourite lines are "Oh, shit, the bomb....! RUN!!!", and the part at the beginning where Chrome gets his lines wrong and ONP Guy declares that he must find "one of the old Vortex Rikers" (which one exactly? :P).

Previous Next