Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

29/09/2008 - "Nr'Gatoth Base" by Cardiologist

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 29/09/2008 - "Nr'Gatoth Base" by Cardiologist

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008, 00:32

Map Title: Nr'Gatoth Base
Author: Kimmo "Cardiologist" Kontto
Filename: ST-NrgatothBase.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/ ... videogames

ImageImage
ImageImage

Synopsis: I have no idea how to say it. You are looking for your friends. After clearing the Skaarj tower (part 1) you have to get through an outpost. Filled with Krall who killed all the Skaarj(s) that used to be here. And there commanding Krall is big, tough and he hates you. His name is Seethe. Really, no language skills today :P

Discuss!

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008, 08:57

Played it's MH edition. Didn't know it was a SP map too.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008, 09:15

I've played it.

I remember the first pic and I remember fighting a giant Krall who got stuck on architecture. For the life of me, I can't remember anything else. I do remember the previous episode, however.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008, 13:42

I don't remember if there was a giant Krall but I recall fighting loads of Krall coming from lifts in room shown in pic #3. It was helluva fun to drop flak shells down lift wells and see coming only 1 legless Krall from there after such bombarding. :lol:

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008, 20:56

Good architecture, nice texturing, cool lighting. Some creepy atmosphere, some interesting scripted events. But it lacks a good storyline and gameplay is way too hard for me. I mean I like challenges, yes, but the fight kea mentioned (6 lifts each carrying 4 Kraal, no way to retreat, enemies comming from every direction - I really believe it was meant for coop). Given the number of enemies and amounts of ammo I believe Cardiologist forgot that in SP dispersion pistol HAS limited ammo (regenerating ammo != infinite). Had to god mode on that spot.
But overally, as once mentioned, gameplay comes from hard to easy as the pack progresses.

Anyway, a map (and a mappack) really worth playing.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008, 00:36

Brutal map pack here, and one of my favourites.

The map is very detailed, in every damn place. Although there are some weird design choices such as the use of textures in the pool of the valley and the unique take on the Sky Box. Lots of themes and good music indeed.

The gameplay is on the hard side, but easily doable. There isn't a lot of ammo, and the RazorJack should be saved until you face those big waves of Krall. They aren't a big deal... headshot, headshot, headshot, Dispersion Pistol, headshot and so on. The hardest wave is probably the one with the Special Krall Troopers, before the Pupae caves. I didn't know that you were supposed to escape, but I actually managed to kill them all by using the elevator, going up and down and taking triplets of them out at time. Funny though.
Many enemies have higher health too, especially that Brute at the beginning...

Yeah, Seethe was damn scary when you see him for the first time (and nonetheless, he's a tough bastard when you face him), but the new Krall skins were cool. It's nice anyway to see the Krall being finally dangerous.

Anyone noticed/entered the secret room near the final area?
ImageImage

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008, 04:22

Didn't like it too much, felt like old unreal or old texture look.Was partialy fun, but always krall.No tricks to straight foward boring-ish.
More fun for coop.

Don't see all this archy or detail, my first time it seemed funky, like a first map.It is actualy a quite ugly map.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008, 09:02

UBerserker wrote:Yeah, Seethe was damn scary when you see him for the first time (and nonetheless, he's a tough bastard when you face him), but the new Krall skins were cool. It's nice anyway to see the Krall being finally dangerous.

Yeah, new skins were cool but
1) Seethe could have his own texture (he's just oversized Elite)
2) They could have created new Kraal classes (with new weapons etc, fighting modified kraal isn't that entertaining)

Also, I completed the pack and either I didn't noticed it or I simply never faced Seethe. Where the encounter takes place?
UBerserker wrote:Anyone noticed/entered the secret room near the final area?

Must have missed it, where's it located?

redeye wrote:Don't see all this archy or detail, my first time it seemed funky, like a first map.It is actualy a quite ugly map.

Nah, it wasn't bad. Polycount was moderate and texturing was strange somtimes, but overally, combined with lighting, it got a good feel for me.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008, 13:40

RedEye and his opinions never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, Jethro, Seethe is faced in map 3. Due to a bug, you'll already find him dead sometimes.
As for the secret area... ghost around the final part of the level, behind the two iron crates. It's a small, purple and foggy room.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008, 14:33

UBerserker wrote:RedEye and his opinions never cease to amaze me.

Don't go personal here plz.

I am looking forward to a vid actually.. I have the feeling that it's the map with the maze, but that could also have been a different mappack....
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Nothing personal. I'm just pointing out how I am amazed.

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008, 14:46

It got the Pupae maze. There's another one in the next map.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008, 00:57

This MOTW will run for an extra week due to the site downtime.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 17:34

Found again the way to go in the secret room. Just a funny thing.

Go into the vent shaft which leads to the room behind the broken door (which has the Krall being killed by an explosion). Shoot the lamp behind the bars.

You'll suddenly be teleported in this purple area. A message appears on the top. Go in the purple light and you'll be teleported back in the vent shaft, along with a classic human scream

ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 18:12

Thanks for the vid.. now I remember. I didn't play this level after the first few minutes I think; the corridors were ALL different! Every time you go thru a door, there is another hallway with another texture/architecture. I dont have problems with variety, but I get a little tired after 25 corridors... other than that it looks pretty good.. should give it a try again sometime!
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008, 21:25

Jethro wrote:but the fight kea mentioned (6 lifts each carrying 4 Kraal, no way to retreat, enemies comming from every direction - I really believe it was meant for coop). Given the number of enemies and amounts of ammo I believe Cardiologist forgot that in SP dispersion pistol HAS limited ammo (regenerating ammo != infinite). Had to god mode on that spot.
But overally, as once mentioned, gameplay comes from hard to easy as the pack progresses.

Did you miss the armoury or something? There's tons of flak ammo and the Krall are weaker than they normally are despite their large numbers.

Probably the best map in the pack, good architecture, scripted sequences and fights (along with a nice surprise at the end), although relatively straightforward overall, but that applies to the pack as a whole.