This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

15/12/2008 - "ISV-Kran Deck 4" by Myscha

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 16:37

I guess I'm the only one who really likes the ISV-Kran :p

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 18:14

TheIronKnuckle wrote:
zbreaker wrote:For me it's always been just a chore to get through the ISV-KRAN levels and back to NaPali :)

well said sir! QFT! :tup:

I used to feel that way about all of Unreal's tech levels; these days, though, I appreciate a wider range of themes, including the Kran.

..All except the MotherShip. :P
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 19:24

honestly.. I like all of the ISVKran maps equally. They all flow together nicely.. and for those of you complaning about ISVKran deck 4.. well.. consider this:

at least its not extremebeg.

I give deck 4 two :tup: :tup: up as the best original unreal intro map into an entirely new atmosphere. I completely disagree with UBerserker on this one. ISVDeck 1 is NOT that special.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 19:43

ISV1 is not that special? That's a joke. Bloblets, a hardcore beginning, a good music, a better layout. Better anything.
ISV-Kran 4 pales in comparison, and is an overall generic and mediocre map.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 20:04

UBerserker wrote:ISV1 is not that special? That's a joke. Bloblets, a hardcore beginning, a good music, a better layout. Better anything.

Of course, nothing beats the Beta version! :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 20:05

That's the best map ever, together with Entry, Beta Sky Town and FHub6.
I wonder why ISV-Kran4 and 3&2 have been cut in two maps.
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 20:18

I'd also like to add that ISVKran4 is the first map where you really feel like your kicking the skaarj race ass. They really start to come in numbers in deck 4 and with an eightball and razorjack equipped.. they are no match for Prisoner 849. I stand with my opinion about this map.

For me it's always been just a chore to get through the ISV-KRAN levels and back to NaPali

yep.. thats what is supposed to feel like. The game would start feeling empty otherwise.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 21:24

It's nice that everyone defends his/her own opinion on this map.. but what do you like/dislike about the map? Please give your posts a little more content... Mappers may want to know what people like/dislike about their maps, or if they want to build something similar to the MOTW, then they know what to mimick or avoid...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008, 14:44

i liked.. the beginning and the end of ISV-Kran.

Ryanx69x
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 23:04

lol I feel left out. Because Decks 2 & 3 was my FAVORITE ISV map. I just liked the run around activating/destroying shit to unlock new areas and backtracking gameplay. I guess Im wierd like that. Mabye it was my sense of accomplishment from fixing up the ship. I mean hey, I activated the engines b1tch!!1!! ISV deack 1 was a close second, and I really didnt care for deck 4 much, but I liked the suspense at the beginning. But I didnt like the first skaaj ambush in deck 4, I always felt like it was too damn long.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 23:11

-Removed.
Last edited by UB_ on 21 Dec 2008, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 23:45

UBerserker wrote:
Ryanx69x wrote:But I didnt like the first skaaj ambush in deck 4, I always felt like it was too damn long.

More like the shortest one. Activate the three panels and run in the next area. End.

Unless you want to fight 'em all.

That's deck 1, UB!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2008, 00:01

Ah yeah, didn't see that.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2008, 14:01

I used to love the ISV kran levels, back when i first played the game i felt these were the highlight of the game. After seeing a human ship in "The Trench" it finally looked like the game was picking up pace after progressing slowly through usually quite pointless locales, i had the feeling all of that would be over and the story would take an interesting twist over here.

The tension and adrenaline increased the more i went into the bowels of the ship. I entered the ship expecting a warm welcome with surviving crew members, but the emptyness once you enter the place had me concerned. Then deck 4 gave me a taste of what to expect with the dead crew, ambush, logs and the story buildup and i couldn't wait to get further, hoping i would meet someone/some interesting story twist. I felt like i was the final hope for these people trying to survive a skaarj invasion.

By the time i got to deck1 it had me sitting on the edge of my seat, facing the last man-made barriers and expecting to meet someone, but then i entered that teleport to spirevillage.... boy was i dissapointed :P

even though after falling into boredom after a major climax in the game, i did manage to put myself together to move on, solely because of the kira situation, which gave me another hope for possible survivors, so i moved on :tup:

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2008, 14:30

I linked to someone elses playthrough, too bad they're using UT weapons.

ISV-Kran is probably my least favorite section (after Cellars at Dasa Pass anyway), I think its more because it's right before some of the best parts of the game though, so it's kind of a roadblock to the awesome. The ambushes here are nice, although it's not always obvious that winning will open the way further (especially in the first fight).

I'm not sure which part of Kran I like/dislike the most, but I'd probably put this as the weakest; Kran 3/2 has the non-linearity thing going on, while Kran 1 has the "OH SHIT RUN!". Kran 4 doesn't have much beyond the ambushes.

Previous Next