A random sentence for a random mind.

29/12/2008 - "Vortex Rikers" By DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 29/12/2008 - "Vortex Rikers" By DavidM

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 05:30

Map Title: Map 31: Vortex Rikers
Author: Cliff Bleszinski & David Münnich
Filename: NP31DavidM.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/13268206

ImageImage

Synopsis: ONPguy finally finds the Vortex Rikers, but the Skaarj already have a complete hold on the ship...
Last edited by Semfry on 02 Jan 2009, 04:19, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 09:33

holy crap what happened to the vortex riker's textures?!?! I knew that ONP revisted and rethemed the level but i don't remember it looking as good as that!
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 13:54

For some reason that's probably the level I like the most of ONP, even though it's a redux.

It's probably the lightning, the music and all the downtuned, creepy sound effects, specially that downtuned siren that always sends a chill through my spine.

Similar reasons to why I like the first levels of Seven Bullets.

By the way, aren't the screenshots overbrightened?

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 14:18

TheIronKnuckle wrote:holy crap what happened to the vortex riker's textures?!?! I knew that ONP revisted and rethemed the level but i don't remember it looking as good as that!

So you're not using S3TC? :)

Rarsonic wrote:By the way, aren't the screenshots overbrightened?

Probably; I think I messed up my monitors gamma a bit recently.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 14:21

I can't remember those hanging things from the ceiling...

However.. isn't this the level with Pamela Anderson?...
(btw.. there should be another level in ONP with a pic like that.. according to David Munnich.. but I don't remember which one that was)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 15:54

This is a great example of how S3TC textures can look like absolute shit. Also, using UT textures was a bizarre and unnecessary choice.

The Super Shockrifle segment was pretty fun though for a few minutes.

Overall, this map is just like ONP as a whole: mostly forgettable with a few really cool parts.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 16:26

Together with Nyleve Redux, Prisoner and Na Pali Heaven Part 2, the only worthwhile map of ONP, and my favourite too. Since I crazily love Vortex Rikers in Unreal, this map was the reason why I downloaded this ONP.
After dealing with some environments filled with annoying allies, generic retexturing and crappy gameplay ideas, I finally arrived here.

Let's say, it was pretty scary, especially in the Kevlar Suit corridor where the Brute suddenly appears, plus you hear some nasty sounds - makes me remind of Silent Hill. Best part of the whole ONP experience.

Gameplay-wise is ok. Nice Pupae and Skaarj ambushes, and the places are good enough for some entertaining battles. Even if you probably own everyone with Flak and Rockets anyway.
The Super Shock Rifle part was fun. Too much fun, then you realize that the monsters are infinite and you don't have enough ammo. Game Over. Still a fun experience. But where the eff those Skaarj came from? Teleporting? Probably.

Onto the build. With the latest S3TC PlayerShp.utx package, this map looks quite amazing, although there are those walls that you see in the background of the first screenshot, that look fugly.
I don't remember much more, aside the Pupae cowebs and the secret area leading to the Prison...
Yeah, why there's a pipe (and a Keg of Health you can get) blocking us? Wouldn't have been cool to explore the prison once again?
About the unused areas in the original Unreal, they are all used here. The small corridor which connects the bridge to the emergency exit, and the "crew berths" (yeah, what they were supposed to be in Unreal anyway), now turned into another control room. I didn't like it.

Lastly, I don't remember any idiotical lines from ONPGuy.

Overall I enjoyed it; unlike the Nyleve and Dig reduxes, this one seems to keep the original atmosphere.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2008, 17:08

I think this is a brilliant redux, which changes the atmosphere and flow of the level completely.

The instagib section is excellent.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Punisher
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008, 07:33

The newly repaired areas of the ship made me think the Skaarj turned it into a small creepy base, well since everything is broken up they definately couldnt turn this place into something like Outpost 1J in 7B. Well, ONP DOES take place 5 years after unreal right? :| I remember reading that somewhere but forgot where. :?
http://www.gta4.net/weapons/

It has all funniest weapons, in the war on Terror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egeNrthYW20

Liquor, Guns, and Fun.

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2009, 17:45

I had to use Dailymotion because Gamevee videos just don't load anymore (can someone try one of the earlier weeks and say if it works for them? Elsewhere the answer was no but I want to make sure).

It a nice redux but there's not much to say beyond that; it does what it's doing convincingly (and going into the cut-out areas of the original one was pretty cool) and the super-shock sequence is cool, but that's about it.