Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

12/01/2009 - "Nali mines" by Mark Simmons

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 12/01/2009 - "Nali mines" by Mark Simmons

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 00:39

Map Title: Nali Mines
Author: Mark Simmons
Filename: pml1.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/13517054

ImageImage

Synopsis: The player tries to escape the Skaarj prison he's trapped in. His way leads through Nali mines.

Discuss!

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 08:48

Peril on Mars has quite a WTF storyline.
I launched this map accidentally a few days ago and gave it a quick run, completed may be circa 25% of it. Geometry is very basic, lighting is poor.
Krall killing Nali in one of the first rooms you unlock.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 10:39

never played it, but from those shots the architecture looks absolutely "superb" :wink:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 14:50

First custom SP pack I've ever played :). I remember It was fun when I first played this pack.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 15:05

This was one of the first custom maps I ever played. I can remember it very well, maybe because I liked it and stunned at the architecture of the map :lol:
But these things surprised me during the level: First, that you must collect crystals (in other maps: keys) before you can leave. And second, the drive with a carriage (Even if it was that simple to rebuild...)
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 15:10

can't remember much from this level.. but the screenies look more like Unreal than PoM... (or anything "Mars" for that matter).
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009, 09:45

This map has quite a few innovative features, like the collectable crystals in the mine and the Nali who is harvesting them.

Overall the map pack is not too special. It gets boring easily.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009, 13:14

Scrag was this map an inspiration for the first map of The Landing?

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009, 17:18

As said many times before - quite interesting concept, some cool events/ideas (cart ride, mining crystals), but overally spoiled with uninteresting lighting, texturing and geometry. Also, some storyline wouldn't hurt...

I tend to believe that this reddish lighting was supposed to refer to Mars being red planet, but it doesn't work for me. Although I must say the outdoor levels looked quite convincing.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009, 19:07

Frieza wrote:Scrag was this map an inspiration for the first map of The Landing?

Nope, I've never played this map. TheLanding1 arose from a brief provided by the leader of the Spatial Fear team, back when I was involved and they weren't just making the prologue.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009, 20:51

Am I on Mars? And what's happening in this pack aside me escaping this planet? Probably only that. Weak story.

Anyway, I kept playing this map again and again because at one point you were able to hear a really loud Call4 sound, and it was freaking cool.
Build-wise, it was simple. There was a pool which looked like acid (and that pool had some small Slith...).

Gameplay-wise, it has some flaws. An explosion welcoming you at the end of an elevator trip, and it hurts; fortunately you were able to avoid it. Generally cramped environments, they're annoying when you fight the groups of Gasbags. Lastly, the Warlord at the end, and you have basically only the Flak Cannon to make you put up a decent fight against him.

Finding the crystals was fun though.
ImageImage

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009, 20:57

Hellscrag wrote:
Frieza wrote:Scrag was this map an inspiration for the first map of The Landing?

Nope, I've never played this map. TheLanding1 arose from a brief provided by the leader of the Spatial Fear team, back when I was involved and they weren't just making the prologue.

Alright :o Been a while since I played it but I remember some vague similarities between the two.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009, 03:14

Yeah...wtf was going on with Mars for this? Seems rather removed from the Unreal universe,,,,and also...pretty weak story line...to be kind. Have not played it in some time, but I kinda remember some decent mapping in parts. Have to wait for the video play through to really get some recall on this and perhaps spur another go at it 8)
Old as Dirt

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009, 21:53

Probably my least favorite map in POM (although still not bad). It has some nice scripted events and combat (setting a berserker on you as the first fight is perhaps a little too brutal though). Like most of POM it manages to be a pretty smooth flowing experience, with a couple of interesting ideas (like the mine-carts and crystals). That elevator is bullshit though, and the weak Warlord is kind of redundant.