Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

19/01/2009 - "Nyleve's Falls" by DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 19/01/2009 - "Nyleve's Falls" by DavidM

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 16:23

Map Title: Map 30: NyLeve's Falls
Author: Eekels & David Münnich
Filename: NP30DavidM.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x82wk6 ... videogames

ImageImage

Synopsis: ONPguy reaches Nyleve and his goal of the Vortex Rikers, the Volcano has flooded the valley with lava...

Edit: Darkon changed pic1 and videolink. Should work now.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 17:05

.. pics are the same, MMAN.. :P.... both 202.
Just fixed it for ya.. named the first one 201 and it showed up.. so I hope it's the right one.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 17:48

I never figured out the reason why the NyLeve falls are all-of-a-sudden filled with lava. Is it ever explained or what? :/

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 18:00

Rarsonic wrote:I never figured out the reason why the NyLeve falls are all-of-a-sudden filled with lava. Is it ever explained or what? :/

Mman wrote:Synopsis: ONPguy reaches Nyleve and his goal of the Vortex Rikers, the Volcano has flooded the valley with lava...

:p

But yeah, while people often say that the valley being filled with lava was kinda lame in that it limited gameplay, I thought it was interesting and made the whole place a lot moodier. This was one of the better remixed maps in the pack, I thought. I just wish they had used fog to make the lava look hotter.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: 19/01/2009 - "Nyleve's Falls" by DavidM

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 18:14

video playthru doesn't work.. I think it's the url from when you edit it instead of the final result..

Edit: fixed.

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 20:09

Waffnuffly wrote:
Rarsonic wrote:I never figured out the reason why the NyLeve falls are all-of-a-sudden filled with lava. Is it ever explained or what? :/

Mman wrote:Synopsis: ONPguy reaches Nyleve and his goal of the Vortex Rikers, the Volcano has flooded the valley with lava...

:p

Whoops! :P

I guess I'd have to read the entire page before posting. It was just seeing that map and then posting.

Waffnuffly wrote:But yeah, while people often say that the valley being filled with lava was kinda lame in that it limited gameplay, I thought it was interesting and made the whole place a lot moodier. This was one of the better remixed maps in the pack, I thought. I just wish they had used fog to make the lava look hotter.

Now that it is explained it makes a bit more sense. But still, it surprised me to see all the water replaced with lava, as there's no volcano (that I know) in the original map, and I doubt that the volcano you find in mid-ONP could get its lava flowing all the way down to NyLeve.

It doesn't make it less cool, though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 20:12

My second favourite map (or more like, one of the maps that I liked) of ONP. First being the Vortex remix.

Nothing really to say here - it's just Nyleve with a great night theme and with the usual ugly terrain retexturing. And where the hell those Tarydium spires come from?

Ambushes are really nice, especially the ones from the Pupae (reminescent of Xidia).

Seeing Nyleve with lava is just something you would have imagined every day. I don't know, but the lava fits more with the night theme. Aye, the liquid texture locks at a certain point.

Luckily you can choose what map to play in the game (through Console, for example), so I can experience this one without playing ONP and passing 27 or so pointless maps D:
ImageImage

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 21:27

The lava was probably done purely for lighting purposes, but yeah it's sort of underexplained. It was nice to see NyLeve again but other than that I thought it was pretty unremarkable.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009, 21:50

Frieza wrote:The lava was probably done purely for lighting purposes, but yeah it's sort of underexplained. It was nice to see NyLeve again but other than that I thought it was pretty unremarkable.

ditto here.. just revisiting with not much extra's... felt more like an in-between-map....

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009, 14:54

This thread seems a bit of an exception but there's always been bunch of orgasming over this level I never really got, the remaking is nice, but between the lava and greater Skaarj occupation it felt like they could have done a lot more with this level (like new side areas or something) but didn't so you just walk to the end with a couple of really easy fights in the way.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009, 22:45

I'll be honest, I don't remember much about this one aside from the lake of lava by the Rikers and the pupae ambush from a crate. I did find what he did with the environment interesting and all, though. But as I recall it was essentially a nostalgic cake-walk. Perhaps that was the intent?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009, 23:10

I think it was just meant to be slightly creepy... which, to be honest, I think it succeeded at.

It's also a much better redux than Rrajigar IMO.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009, 21:51

New MOTW will hopefully be up tomorrow; sorry about the delay (my fault).

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009, 22:29

Hellscrag wrote:New MOTW will hopefully be up tomorrow; sorry about the delay (my fault).

Ehm... not really I think... more like "RL"-issue here.
No problem with a delay tho... take your time.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009, 23:06

Darkon wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:New MOTW will hopefully be up tomorrow; sorry about the delay (my fault).

Ehm... not really I think... more like "RL"-issue here.
No problem with a delay tho... take your time.

Don't worry - the RL issue is something that I'm more than capable of coping with. I just forgot in the midst of it, that's all. Hopefully I'll remember tomorrow.